Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gazgits
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 09:51:11
Print Post

New router with old modem.

[link to this post]

Hi all, im in the process of purchasing a new wireless router to try and improve the performance around the house. I have been looking at the D-Link 868 router but i'm concerned that if i connect it to my standard o2 wireless box i will not be getting the best from it. Is this true and if so should i also purchase a new modem?

Thanks in advance

Gaz
Standard User qasdfdsaq
(committed) Fri 09-Aug-13 10:46:26
Print Post

Re: New router with old modem.

[re: gazgits] [link to this post]

That router is a bit overkill, your internet connection is far too slow to make use of the improved wireless. It'll help with local transfers though, if that's what you're after.

A new modem isn't going to make your internet any faster. Well, not by more than a few percent anyway.
Standard User gazgits
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 11:14:36
Print Post

[re: qasdfdsaq] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i'm not looking to improve the internet just the wireless performance around the house. There is a lot of demand in the house with PS3's, PC, IPAD's etc and the o2 router struggles. So if i buy the router then connect it to the the cheap o2 modes/ router wont have an adverse effect

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Aug-13 12:31:52
Print Post

Cheaper and probably just as good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-300Mbps-W...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gazgits
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 13:02:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Considerably cheeper. Can it really be as good?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 09-Aug-13 13:10:37
Print Post

AC devices are really only worth it if you have a 100 Meg or faster Internet connection.

So if goal is just better coverage the tplink should do the job, only caveat and I'd agree with Amazon reviewers their web interfaces can need a little more knowledge than some other devices. Trade ease of setup against cost to buy.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User gazgits
(newbie) Fri 09-Aug-13 13:16:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ok thanks for the tip. My main priority is to get better wireless around the house. Currently the network struggles when we are all online at the same time. Ideally im looking for a device that allows me to prioritise date flow. (QOS?). At the moment when the daughter is on Skype which is pretty constant it drags most of the bandwidth and the rest of us suffer. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks again
  Print Thread

Jump to