Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 18:58:52
Print Post

New Fibre Connection need Advise

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

I am new here but I have searched to find the answers to my questions but some remain. I would like to get installation right at the first attempt

I live in a rural village that thanks to "better broadband for Norfolk" is getting FTTC very soon - the cabinet is here, ready and is is 100 metres from my house connected by overhead lines. There is a connector box about 6 metres up the side wall of my house where I join the BT system. I currently have a 1.8Mb connection!

Problem 1. The connector box on my side wall is apparently connected to the master socket by indoor 6 core telephone cable even thought the first metre of it is outside. The other 6 metres between the connector box & the master socket is buried behind plasterboard/plaster. Is this likely to be a problem with longevity or connection speed?

Problem 2. If I am to use the new router at the existing master socket location it is a long way to some of the wireless users - one level plus 20 metres. The present location of my router is at the other end of the house, in my office, connected by a normal telephone extension cable. If I get BT to run a data cable to my present router location I am guessing that they will surface mount it. How large a cable is a data cable & what colour believe me this matters if I want a peaceful life!!? Alternatively - & I have seen conflicting reports on this & BT chat says NO - will they move the master socket to another existing socket on my phone system (10 daisy chained locations) where the new router could be located?.

Concern 3. If I am going to disrupt the house to put in cat5e/6 cabling I would like to put in enough of them that will mean that I don't need to do it again soon. I can easily see at least 4 in the lounge/entertainment room but how many to my office & the bedrooms?

Ignorance 4. How do I connect all this stuff together? I gather that I need a switcher but do they need a power point & what else should I consider in my decision?

Ignorance 5. The plan would be a single Cat6 connector from the socktet/router to a switcher. Can I connect a 2nd switcher to one of the connectors out of a 1st switcher? Is this a good idea to greatly reduce cable lengths?

As you can probably tell I would appreciate any helpful solutions and just a little reassurance before I channel the walls!!

If I am talking rubbish please tell me!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Aug-13 19:08:41
Print Post

Re: New Fibre Connection need Advise

[re: chris52] [link to this post]

1. Should be fine, if worried about UV breakdown over the years some PVC cable capping over the top will protect it from UV and rain etc

2. You can place the openreach modem at the master socket, and then run up to 100m of proper Ethernet to the router if you want OR when ordering ask for the Home Wiring Solution (HWS - which is free) and a data extension will be run for up to 30m from the master socket. Colour - not sure, white I believe.

3. You can never have enough Cat5e/6 installed, but most people do two or four to faceplates, and if need more just add an Ethernet switch on one port.

4. Ethernet switches need power. But for the passive Ethernet cables and patch panels they are unpowered.

5. Cable length for Ethernet is not really an issue, unless looking at runs over 100 metres

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 19:29:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is "data extension" an ordinary cat5e/6 cable or is it something special.

I ask because I will get a lot of grief if they install a cable round door frames etc whereas I could have hidden a cat5e cable from the master socket to router locations ready when for they come.

I prefer not to have the router next to the existing master socket which is visible in the main bedroom.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Aug-13 19:43:52
Print Post

Its two pairs of wires to cat5 twist level so slightly thinner. Same as the old adsl data extension kits that have been around for years

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 19:59:00
Print Post

Thanks for your help.

Is this what they fit:
http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTNTE2000EX30M.html
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Aug-13 21:07:37
Print Post

Yeap

Standard User chris52
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 21:51:24
Print Post

If I want to run a cable before the BT engineer arrives would I be better using Cat5e & if so will it fit the bits that the engineer brings as part of data extension to attach to each end?

Or does it need to be Cat5 basic?

Edited by chris52 (Fri 16-Aug-13 21:52:47)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Aug-13 21:59:02
Print Post

Cat5e should keep them happy even if they dont wire it in it is easy to do.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/ shows what they fit socket wise and where you would connect the wires if you have to do it yourself

Standard User chris52
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 22:05:20
Print Post

Thank you. Help much appreciated.
  Print Thread

Jump to