Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-13 12:07:06
Print Post

Best Network Speed with Differing Wireless Connections

[link to this post]

As I reported in a previous question we are getting fibre broadband. I am now looking at the wireless part of my network to get the best possible speed.

There are currently 2 devices that connect wirelessly. One is a 6 year old Dell Inspiron 6400 which has a Intel 4965agn network card (201.11a,g &n, 2.4 & 5ghz with 300mbs) and a second one year old Dell 15R which has an Intel wireless-n 2230 (2x2, 201.11b,g &n, 2.4ghz, 300mbs.

Do either of these cause a problem with best wireless speed for the other?
Do either/both of these cause a problem if we want something like the wireless sky connect box?

How do I make it faster?

As we are likely to go with BT Infinity with the new Home Hub 4 how do I set up for the best speed?

Thank you in advance for any help
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Mon 19-Aug-13 12:17:44
Print Post

Re: Best Network Speed with Differing Wireless Connections

[re: chris52] [link to this post]

The Inspiron 6400 has wireless n and both 2.4 and 5 GHz. This will enable the option of 5GHz for least interference and possible higher speed while retaining 2.4GHz if distance is a problem (5 GHz doesn't travel far).

The Dell 15r doesn't have 5GHz but it does have wireless N so you should be able to get good speeds.

The two killers are interference from other networks and distance - especially if through solid walls.

Having devices on the network using old technology (especially wireless B) does slow down the entire network.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Mon 19-Aug-13 13:30:32
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

As you can tell I am a non expert here!

I had guessed that as 802.11n is available to both systems that I would use that and that 801.11b & g would not be used.

I had noted 2x2 for one laptop and 5gkz for the other.

Do I need to do anything to get the best from this or is it just plug in & it sorts the best out?

Does getting a Sky Wireless on demand connector change anything?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 19-Aug-13 19:05:21
Print Post

Generally just plug it in and use it all, and only worry about problems when they occur, otherwise you end up reading and learning reams of information that would never be used.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 19-Aug-13 19:16:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris52:
As I reported in a previous question we are getting fibre broadband. I am now looking at the wireless part of my network to get the best possible speed.

Contradiction in terms. Use wire.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
  Print Thread

Jump to