Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User george70
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 14:40:38
Print Post

Wired Connections

[link to this post]

Hello everyone I am new to the site and would like to ask advice on my query. I have bought a BT ADSL V10 socket and an extension socket with the RJ11 socket plug and phone socket plug. My wiring cable I bought has only 4 wires Blue – Blue and White – Orange – Orange and White. I hope I have explained this right and wondered if anyone out there could tell me where the wires are supposed to go. The V10 socket has A and B terminals also with numbered terminals and the extension socket has only numbered terminals. Maybe there is an article on this but don’t seem to be able to find any. Thanks in advance.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 14:46:30
Print Post

Re: Wired Connections

[re: george70] [link to this post]

The extension socket, I presume you mean something like http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-extensions.htm

In which case do the following

Blue to A on the ADSL v1.0
Blue/White to B on the ADSL v1.0

Blue to 2 on the extension
Blue/White to 5 on the extension

This means the ADSL should work at both the master socket (where the v1.0 is) and the extension socket which is also doing its own filtering, and similarly with the telephone.

The Orange and Orange/White wires are not needed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User george70
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 14:54:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew the extension plate I have looks like the ADSL-FFP85D - Solwise ADSL Filtered BT/RJ11 Faceplate. Is the connections the same with that one. Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 15:25:25
Print Post

yes should be

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User george70
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 16:35:40
Print Post

There are two separate box connecters on the back of the extension when I tried to do it. 1 to 6 for the telephone and 1 to 6 for the broadband. Which one do I connect to please. Sorry if I am sounding like a novice but it sure has me confused. At the moment on the V10 I have Blue wire to pin 2 - Blue and White to pin 5 - Orange wire to pin A - Orange and White to pin B. On the extension have Blue wire to pin 2 - Blue and White wire to pin 5 on Telephone socket. On the broadband RJ11 socket have the Orange wire to pin 3 - Orange and White wire to pin 4. This gets my telephone working and my broadband but at a low speed. By the way had Openreach out at weekend and they put connections right on pole saying that they were corroded and that now internet working great. thanks again for listening to me.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Aug-13 17:29:57
Print Post

Usually blue/white and white/blue wires from A&B on the back of the BT ADSL V10 NTE5 filtered faceplate to terminals 2 and 5 on the ADSL-FFP85D - Solwise ADSL Filtered BT/RJ11 Faceplate (do not use F2 and F5 for adsl, they are for a filtered voice extension only)

For that setup only two wires are needed, i.e. blue/white and white/blue, since the raw signal will be unfiltered from the BT ADSL V10 terminals A&B to the terminals 2 and 5 on the back of the Solwise ADSL Filtered BT/RJ11 Faceplate. This will provide a rj11 adsl connection for a router and a filtered connection for a phone plug on your extension.

Edited by 4M2 (Wed 21-Aug-13 17:35:50)

Standard User george70
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 19:13:17
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Thanks for your answer but please bear with me. After I connected both blue wires to A and B on the BT ADSL V10 NTE5 and then go to the extension faceplate which terminal do I use 2 and 5 on the Phone terminal or 2 and 5 on the rj11 terminal.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 20:44:22
Print Post

I doubt many of us have one of those to hand, so you might get an answer if you take a picture and put it online somewhere.

Did this socket come with no instructions at all? Where was it bought from, there may be some clues on there.

Would normally expect it to look like http://www.solwise.co.uk/images/imagesbroadband/filt... (if a solwise part) and you would connect to 2 and 5. The F ones are the post filter ones.

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 21-Aug-13 20:45:26)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Aug-13 21:02:29
Print Post

http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/ffpsplitter... - shows connections to terminals 2 and 5 (which results in an unfiltered signal to the rj11 adsl socket on the front of that faceplate) on the FFP85D rear view. The filtered phone terminals are F2 and F5 (and F3 if a bell wire was required) that one would only use for a phone extension, not adsl, from the back of that faceplate.
Standard User george70
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 21:33:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm. This is where I got them from, the NTE5 and the BT ADSL Adapter. Instructions came with it but lost them.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to