Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User slipperman
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 22:56:04
Print Post

New router, 28 devices, 100Mb connection

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

I'm a first time poster but I've been by the website a few times, it seemed the best place to get some input on what I need.

I'm currently running a D-Link DIR-655 with around 28 devices connected to it (about 15 max ay any one time) but it just isn't feeling as snappy as it once was since more devices are using the internet in the house and the wireless coverage doesn't extend too well to the loft where I am at the moment.

My existing setup consists of 1 Modem (virgin), 1 Router and 2 switches along with 2 sets of homeplugs.

I genuinely don't know what my best option is, I have considered adding an access point but I feel the router is struggling itself but I could be wrong.

I've also hit a bump in the fact my current router only supports around 26 DHCP reservations and 26 MAC addresses in the filtering section.

I'd like it to be as cheap as possible but I'm willing to go to around £100.

I would highly appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Standard User gah789
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 23:13:16
Print Post

Re: New router, 28 devices, 100Mb connection

[re: slipperman] [link to this post]

This is way beyond what standard domestic routers & switches are designed to handle. If you want to improve the performance significantly you would have to spend much more than £100 on equipment that is designed for small offices.

To keep the cost down you could opt for routers, etc sold by companies such as Ubiquiti or MikroTik but they provide very limited hand holding and you need to understand a significant about networking. Ubiquiti sells access points that can handle multiple wireless connections and high performance switches/routers at reasonable cost. But they are not easy to set up.

A more expensive alternative would be routers, etc sold by Draytek which offer more support but don't cost a huge amount (relative terms) but you would need to spend at least £200.

Finally, with this number of devices the first things that you should think about are a sensible network design and ensuring that as many devices as possible are served by wired rather than wireless links. I don't know what the D-Link can handle but anything more than 5 separate wireless links is likely to degrade performance significantly.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 23:17:55
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

If the virgin modem is running in modem mode then perhaps the asus rtn66u or the newer ac equivalent

Plus some dd wrt firmwares can give better visibility of things like cpu load and nat table size

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 22-Aug-13 09:53:05
Print Post

How is your set-up configured? That could impact on performance if not ideal.

I would suggest: Modem >>>> Router (just for DHCP and access to modem) >>>> Switch1 >>>> Switch2 and any WAPs from Switch1 too.

That will minimise the traffic on the router and links to it. If the Switches are Gbit then traffic will move between them speedily. If local traffic has to go through the router then it could potentially slow down access to the modem.

Used wired connections to the switches rather than homeplugs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User slipperman
(newbie) Thu 22-Aug-13 17:22:23
Print Post

Right, I'm going to give the network configuration a look over - I mayble able to borrow a switch off of someone for a week or two to give it a try.

Thanks for the input so far, I'll keep this thread updated on my progress.
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Thu 22-Aug-13 18:35:05
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

You need a smart switch with sufficient ports to cover your devices and a bit to spare. This sort of thing, but not necessarily Netgear. Smart Switch This will do most of the routing work for your network, leaving the router for what routers do best. For universal wireless access there are decent wireless routers around for a reasonable price. eg the Asus RT- N66U, VM's Suerhub2 is superb possibly out performing BTs Homehub 4. The 2 latter devices might not do everything you want a router to do. Probably cheaper is to keep a couple of access devices scattered around your property working of a smart switch.. Only use the powerline adapters for devices that require limited network speed.

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Standard User slipperman
(newbie) Thu 22-Aug-13 19:30:08
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

I am actually able to get a new Virging Superhub, I'm due a modem upgrade for the 120Mb speed apparantly but I've always avoided superhubs and homehubs as I generally hear bad things about them, but at least it will be free.

I'm going to try reconfiguring the network as advised and see how that goes.

I have some homeplugs for the bedrooms for my brother and sister my brother only uses his for Xbox Live and my sister for her WDTV Media player.
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Thu 22-Aug-13 20:29:02
Print Post

Superhub 2 is a much better piece of wireless kit than Superhub 1. Its range is excellent and offers dual band. It also has 4 gigabit ports. Understandingly VM have left out some of the features you would expect from a pure router, such as static routing, (They don't want to end up troubleshooting too many features that most people don't want.), but it has those that most households need. eg a firewall and port forwarding for games etc.

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
  Print Thread

Jump to