Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cosmicflame11
(newbie) Mon 26-Aug-13 21:17:08
Print Post

How to throttle someone on an O2 Wireless router?

[link to this post]

Hi so I have a selfish excuse of a brother who constantly torrents and downloads. I'm on a wired connection, he's on a wireless one, and I know it's always him that's hogging bandwidth because whenever I disable the wireless, my speed and latency shoots up.
And disabling the wireless altogether isn't a solution since then he will throw a tantrum, and probably break the router.

I have a standard TG587nv2 O2 Wireless box, software release 8.4.3.K, if it's any help.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to buy another router. I've heard that the default O2 router is terrible when it comes to QoS/throttling/port blocking? So is there any hope at all?

Also, going onto his laptop and downloading software probably won't work either.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 26-Aug-13 21:54:39
Print Post

Re: How to throttle someone on an O2 Wireless router?

[re: cosmicflame11] [link to this post]

clutching at straws you could try forcing it to 802.11b and perhaps setting the rate if it allows you to do those things - I have no idea but it'll be on the wireless settings page.

You could sign it up to use OpenDNS to block P2P and similar lookups which may disrupt his efforts.

Another angle would be to add a more capable wireless device by wire and turn the O2 wireless off.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User tomwilliam378
(newbie) Wed 25-Sep-13 05:17:04
Print Post

Re: How to throttle someone on an O2 Wireless router? *DELETED*

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 25-Sep-13 07:39:07
Print Post

Re: How to throttle someone on an O2 Wireless router? *DELET

[re: tomwilliam378] [link to this post]

Go spam elsewhere please

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to