Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-13 08:25:49
Print Post

HDMI over network

[link to this post]

Is it possible to reliably send HDMI over cat5e network cabling? All of the HDMI-to-network adaptors I've come across specify cat6 but I'm wondering if that's really necessary? To be precise, such adaptors all seem to specity two cat6 cables as the requirement and sure enough, each adaptor has a single HDMI input/output with twin RJ45 sockets

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 28-Aug-13 08:35:06
Print Post

Re: HDMI over network

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

This says Cat5E http://lifehacker.com/5918457/hdmi-over-ethernet-ada...

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 28-Aug-13 08:50:30
Print Post

Edited by BatBoy (Wed 28-Aug-13 09:33:38)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 09:07:50
Print Post

Is it converting the HDMI signals to a network protocol and then back? Or do the modules just contain line drivers, various impedance matching components and HDMI interface drivers at the far end?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User dandnsmith
(experienced) Wed 28-Aug-13 09:41:03
Print Post

I tried this sort of arrangement, but not on an extensive basis, using Cat5e.
It seems to operate successfully (using 10m cable length). I was only trying it out as a contingency arrangement for watching TV in a room with no aerial connection or UTP cabling.
I note that there are also devices which utilise a single cable the main problem for me at the time of ordering was that these were vastly more expensive.
I don't have a product reference for the devices I purchased, but bought through CPC/Farnell

Derek
Standard User Chips
(regular) Wed 28-Aug-13 11:13:04
Print Post

[re: dandnsmith] [link to this post]

I agree, this can get very expensive. I networked my Sky box to 8 other rooms about 3 years ago but did use cat 6 cable. I found Keene Retail to be a good source of all types of HDMI senders.
The type of sender that I use uses single cable and only sends video and stereo sound. Later versions can now transmit multi channel sound which has become useful since Sky have recently started to send 5.1 sound over HDMI.
Standard User tomwilliam378
(newbie) Thu 19-Sep-13 07:01:55
Print Post

[re: Chips] [link to this post]

I agree, this can get very expensive. A device that receives the 3 HDMI inputs and streams over the LAN, poissibly without the need of a dedicated receiver I.E. Dlna server.
  Print Thread

Jump to