Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Padsnetwork
(newbie) Sat 05-Oct-13 00:09:08
Print Post

BT Homehub 4 versus Netgear DGN1000

[link to this post]

My current BB ISP is Talktalk and I use my own Netgear DGN1000 router and an Apple Time Capsule (TC) as my LAN setup. I am not interested in a TV bolt on package. My Netgear router serves the TC and my Marantz hifi via ethernet connections to circumvent thick wall problems.

I want to upgrade to the faster fibre optic service that is now available in my area and am contemplating a switch to a BT Infinity broadband and phone package.

In terms of reliability and customer service support, am I better to:

1) Go TalkTalk Fibre Broadband but using my current Netgear router
2) Change to BT Infinity and use the Homehub 4 router
3) Change to BT Infinity but stick with my Netgear router (....if indeed this is even possible)
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 08:25:22
Print Post

Re: BT Homehub 4 versus Netgear DGN1000

[re: Padsnetwork] [link to this post]

I don't think you'll find the DGN1000 will work with fibre as I am pretty sure it is ADSL only. You would need a new "cable" or "fibre" router that has an Ethernet WAN port on it.

I am currently using a HH4 on BT and the issue is with wireless - kept on getting disconnects on my laptop but laptop works fine using an Apple Airport Express so seems to be the router. I have also used a Billion 7800 as the router on BT - you can use pretty much any router that supports fibre on BT.

Even if you use your own router it is worth getting the HH4 as a backup if you go BT.

Can't comment on support as haven't had to ring BT yet - been connected since January.
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Oct-13 08:27:34
Print Post

If you go with BT and are contemplating their internet TV streaming services (ie BT Sport etc) then you need a router that supports multicast. Does the DGN1000?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 08:35:09
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gomezz:
If you go with BT and are contemplating their internet TV streaming services (ie BT Sport etc) then you need a router that supports multicast. Does the DGN1000?

Doesn't matter - it doesn't support fibre so a new router is needed anyway.
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 09:40:49
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Many thanks all - useful advice.

Having said that: the fibre link only comes as far as the local cabinet at the end of my lane (sufficient apparently to enable me to benefit from the higher "fibre" speed - according to the "what's available to you" data).
So, given that this might be a dumb question, would I still need to change to a fibre-enabled router?

Edited by Padsnetwork (Mon 07-Oct-13 11:50:15)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 16:44:21
Print Post

The connection you get will be an ethernet connection from the BT supplied modem. The HH4 then would plug via ethernet into that modem. Your current router only supports ADSL2+ and therefore will not work (if you want to look FTTC connections use VDSL so a combined modem/router using VDSL is an option but currently BT do not generally allow them although it is being trialled - you still can't do it with the Netgear you have though).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Oct-13 12:36:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by Padsnetwork:
would I still need to change to a fibre-enabled router?
The router is not fibre enabled. It is one with an Ethernet port on the WAN (Internet) side. It is exactly the same as used for cable, like Virgin. That's why many of us call it a cable router (as opposed to an ADSL router).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Tue 08-Oct-13 14:32:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Many thanks for that.

Does anyone have any information on how the fibre router that TalkTalk apparently supply might compare with the LAN coverage and reliability of my Netgear ADSL DGN1000?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Oct-13 15:02:17
Print Post

By LAN coverage do you mean Wireless network coverage?

Only way with wireless is really to put the two boxes in your house, as all the test setups are different. Not seen a raft of moans about the TalkTalk kit, and you could always re-purpose the DGN 1000 as a wireless access point and use that your wireless network

e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html process is almost identical for you, as Netgear devices share a common web interface

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to