Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User manofdogs
(newbie) Sun 06-Oct-13 20:35:37
Print Post

Master socket in wrong place for wireless

[link to this post]

New to this forum - grateful for any advice.

Our BT master socket is in an extension on one side of the house with a thick wall between it and the rest of the house. Hence wireless signal is not great throughout the house. I'm thinking of positioning the router about 6 metres away and would need about 10m of cable to achieve this. I am aware that standard telephone cable is not recommended for this and having experimented with it saw the broadband signal drop considerably. Also I do NOT need a phone socket where the router is to be repositioned

So I'm thinking of adding an adsl faceplate to the master socket and then using a 10m high quality adsl cable. Question is - as we are 3 miles from the exchange and don't have great broadband is this going to be good enough or would it be better to splash out and get BT to move the master socket and extensions (at a cost of about £200)

Also, by using the faceplate am I right in thinking I don't need a filter

Or does anyone have a better idea?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-Oct-13 21:45:51
Print Post

Re: Master socket in wrong place for wireless

[re: manofdogs] [link to this post]

Dont fall into the gold plated hyper expensive adsl cable trap.

A few metres of cat5e to connect a socket in the right location should lose minimal speed

You existing master is already an extension, this might already be impacting your speeds. What are your router stats?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User manofdogs
(newbie) Sun 06-Oct-13 21:57:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Can you run Cat5/6 from Master socket to router? I'm not interested in cable from router to PC. I'm only concerned with getting wireless across the whole house and, to achieve this, the wireless router has to be some distance from the master socket as the master socket is in the wrong place!

And our speeds are low because we are rural and not close to an exchange. Router stats are 5.1 and 0.4

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 06-Oct-13 22:00:46
Print Post

Is your master socket really in the extension? Where was it before the extension was built?

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Oct-13 22:22:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
You existing master is already an extension
I think OP means that master is located inside a house extension, not an extension phone socket.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Oct-13 01:24:40
Print Post

The best thing to do would be to keep the existing router in it's place.

Then buy a secondary cable router for around £25. Run a cable, say 25m of cabling (you can get this on ebay for around £2) from the existing router to where the signals currently poor. Place the 2nd router at the end of this cable. You just need to turn DHCP off on the 2nd router and it should work.

This way the broadband signal is unaffected in anyway and you have strong signal all over.

Moving the existing router just a few metres is likely to marginally increase the signal in currently bad areas meaning you'll still have low signal in some areas. Also moving it might introduce new areas where the signals bad.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 07-Oct-13 01:26:25)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 08:34:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by manofdogs:
Can you run Cat5/6 from Master socket to router?

Yes. Cat 5 is great for doing phone extensions - high quality cable with minimal signal loss.
Standard User manofdogs
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 09:01:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes - extension is used as an office and this line was added as a business line and later had broadband added. All done pre-wifi.
Standard User manofdogs
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 09:02:33
Print Post

Re: Master socket in wrong place for wireless *DELETED*

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Post deleted by manofdogs
Standard User manofdogs
(newbie) Mon 07-Oct-13 09:03:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
In reply to a post by manofdogs:
Can you run Cat5/6 from Master socket to router?

Yes. Cat 5 is great for doing phone extensions - high quality cable with minimal signal loss.

pre-made or need to wire up yourself?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to