Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Mon 14-Oct-13 14:34:59
Print Post

What Spec Cable should connect BT to Master Socket?

[link to this post]

Should there be twisted pair copper between my house telephone external box -where the wire arrives from the pole - & the master socket which I know that I must not touch? There is actually something like white sheathed very thin steel burglar alarm cable that is most certainly not copper nor twisted pair CAT????.

Edited by chris52 (Mon 14-Oct-13 14:36:28)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Oct-13 15:55:41
Print Post

Re: What Spec Cable should connect BT to Master Socket?

[re: chris52] [link to this post]

It should be to the appropriate BT spec - could be CW1308 if straight through a wall or CW1308B - external grade if it runs along walls. And in some cases I have seen them use CW1411/1417 drop wire for short lengths.

Burglar alarm cable will not do, especially if it is more that a few centimetres or DSL is involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Mon 14-Oct-13 16:03:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Good

I am having fibre & I don't want there to be any argument about replacing the down lead and having the master socket moved. I know that when the phone was installed the engineer just used the wire that was there because of routing issues.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 16:05:48
Print Post

Could have been a "lazy" job where external grade cable should have to have been transitioned to internal grade cable if the NTE5 is some distance from an external wall?
Standard User chris52
(newbie) Mon 14-Oct-13 16:44:15
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

It was a new build dormer bungalow and the builder left a wire (at my request) that went through the external wall across the top roof space, down the sloping part of the ceiling and ended up at floor level on the far side of the upstairs bedroom. I guess that the BT man was more than delighted to use it as he never said anything and this was long before I had even heard of Cat?? cable or queried what the builder had left. I know what it looked like however.

The installation involved dropping a wire from the telegraph pole to a junction box on the outside wall of the house and connecting a metre loop of the builders fitted cable to it and finally connecting a master socket on the other end. Thus the builders cable was used externally and no BT cable was used at all beyond the outside junction box.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Oct-13 16:56:59
Print Post

That could give really bad results when it comes to VDSL. Probably fine for voice, ADSL might survive or operate at a lower level that it could, but VDSL will suffer.

M H C

Standard User chris52
(newbie) Mon 14-Oct-13 17:06:05
Print Post

I have Googled CW1308 which appears to be 2 twisted pairs & copper. This was 6 untwisted and not copper!

This is all the basis of a good case to have all new so thank you. Tea & choccie biccies might help as well.

PS I live in an area where 2Mb ADSL is good so it worked OK for that.

Edited by chris52 (Mon 14-Oct-13 17:08:25)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Oct-13 17:16:51
Print Post

For domestic use you will find 2 or 3 pair - but it can be a lot more with the largest being 200 pair!

If you want him to rerun cables, make sure everywhere is easily accessible and cables can be pulled easily. Bacon rolls seem to make cable pulling easier too - something to do with the fat maybe!

M H C

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Oct-13 17:33:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris52:
The installation involved dropping a wire from the telegraph pole to a junction box on the outside wall of the house and connecting a metre loop of the builders fitted cable to it and finally connecting a master socket on the other end. Thus the builders cable was used externally and no BT cable was used at all beyond the outside junction box.

The vdsl installers should sort that out for you and use the correct wiring between the external junction box and the NTE5 smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 14-Oct-13 17:38:22
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
In reply to a post by chris52:

The vdsl installers should sort that out for you and use the correct wiring between the external junction box and the NTE5 smile

Not if it runs through walls and ceiling voids. They do not have to and it will be down to goodwill. Upset them and the master will end up close to the point of entry.

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to