Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User richardmouldryan
(newbie) Mon 21-Oct-13 22:23:59
Print Post

Wireless router recommendations needed

[link to this post]

I'm a pretty non-technical person soon to have to take the giant step into wireless broadband because I'm going to be getting a laptop to supplement my ageing desktop, so I'm going to need a wireless router which can also maintain the wired connection to my desktop. I have 4mb broadband from Namesco, my house is a pretty average 3 bed semi, the laptop is likely to be used fairly close to the likely location of the router, and with growing kids chances are there will be more mobile devices around in the not-too distant future. If anyone could be kind enough to suggest some models which would meet my needs it would be appreciated because I'm not sure I can trust what the staff at PC World will suggest. Thanks.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Oct-13 12:52:27
Print Post

Re: Wireless router recommendations needed

[re: richardmouldryan] [link to this post]

First question, who is the ISP and what sort of internet connection do you have (ie is it ADSL, fibre to the cabinet, cable, etc)?

The type of broadband could be key to recommending a router.
Standard User philippercival
(experienced) Wed 23-Oct-13 15:44:03
Print Post

Virtually all routers that do wireless, will also do a wired connection.

Getting a good router is the right idea, however they are relatively cheap to replace and so long term planning for growing children and their mobile devices is probably not necessary.

Personally I have been very happy with the Netgear routers I have had on ADSL and FTTC, They have been relatively cheap, very reliable and easy to set up.

What do Namesco provide if anything?

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 21:25:09
Print Post

[re: philippercival] [link to this post]

Namesco provided a ZyXEL Prestige 600 router foc when I signed up with them; I must admit I haven't checked what they might provide in this situation though can't see that it would be free. I'll have a look at what Netgear have to offer, thanks.
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 21:28:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

My ISP is Namesco, it's ADSL and as BT are bombarding me with literature about BT Infinity, I imagine that they've installed fibre as far as the box at the end of our road. Would any more info help?
(newbie) Thu 24-Oct-13 21:33:02
Print Post

Also if it might be helpful I just ran the speed test on this site and I'm getting 7mb download, 0.8mb upload.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 25-Oct-13 09:14:59
Print Post

Are you thinking of moving to fibre? If so then most ISPs would provide a wireless router with it (and buying an ADSL router if thinking of moving to fibre soon would be a waste of money).

If staying with ADSL then you have a few options. You could actually just buy a Wireless Access Point to add wireless to the current router (such as an Apple Airport Express - although the Apple isn't cheap).

Alternatively you buy a replacement. The netgears already suggested can be OK but I admit I am not that impressed with the latest netgears (always really like the older ones). Billion can be a good make so maybe this or this.

If you want to future proof yourself for Fibre then a bit more money would get you this which support both ADSL and Fibre (I have the non-wireless version of this and it works really well). There is also an Asus that gets mentioned on these boards as being an excellent (although somewhat expensive) router.
Standard User bray
(newbie) Sat 02-Nov-13 13:22:02
Print Post

You can go for the ASUS RT-AC66U if your budget allows, best damn router I've ever owned. And it should be for almost $200. ASUS RT, with a new standard: 802.11ac. The main features of this ASUS RT-AC66U IS its great wireless speeds, reaching up to 1.3Gbps in the 5GHz band and up to 450Mbps in the 2.4GHz one

Edited by bray (Sat 02-Nov-13 13:37:17)

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Sat 02-Nov-13 15:55:40
Print Post

That Router already appears to have WiFi (Wireless), admittedly of an older generation, "WP", "WAP", from 2007.

I suggest that you try the laptop onn that first, waiting until you decide about any Broadband improvements, when you are likely to be supplied "foc" with a (more) up-to-date one, matching your choice/availability of higher-speed Broadband.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Nov-13 16:18:32
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
That Router already appears to have WiFi (Wireless), admittedly of an older generation, "WP", "WAP", from 2007.
Some ZyXEL P600 series routers have wireless, some do not. Unless there's a W in the first part of the model designation (e.g. P660HW-61), there's no wireless.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to