Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Nov-13 07:49:23
Print Post

Win 8 networking

[link to this post]

I see that my new Win 8 laptop switches off the wireless connection as soon as I plug in my Ethernet cable. Is this deliberate and what's the advantage? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it's not a good idea to have both enabled at the same time but I can't remember what the reason was.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Nov-13 08:42:50
Print Post

Re: Win 8 networking

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Windows 7 definitely has problems working out which is the better network - wired or wireless. By disabling one it makes sure the "correct" route is taken (although with 802.11n running at full pelt it could potentially be better than 100Mb/s wired).

They probably chose to bypass this issue by just making sure in Win 8 that only 1 network was active.

And if you look from a corporate perspective there can be security issues to having 2 networks connected simultaneously and there are software companies that make money out of disabling networks for you.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 04-Nov-13 17:30:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
(although with 802.11n running at full pelt it could potentially be better than 100Mb/s wired).

Ha! We wish!
(and before someone chips in yes I am aware that you might be able to obtain over 100Mbps, but the stability still doesn't compare)

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Mon 04-Nov-13 17:30:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Nov-13 09:58:59
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I did say "potentially" - on paper it can but in reality wireless is a fickle thing.
  Print Thread

Jump to