Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User michty_me
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-13 02:28:21
Print Post

Creating wireless network off wired server

[link to this post]

Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice to fitting an access point in our ships workshop.

Our plan was to fit a small ethernet switch/hub (Not sure which is best) to the workshop wall point with one cable to the desktop PC and another ethernet cable to a portable AP such as the Asus 330NUL.

Another suggestion was to use an old wireless router I have laying around and do the following.

- Connect to computer and login.
- Set DHCP to off. (To obtain IP address from the primary DHCP server from the network)
- Save and power down.
- Connect one ethernet cable to socket in wall then to LAN 1 on router.
- Connect Ethernet cable to LAN 2 on router to Desktop PC
- Power up.
- If issues remain then log in to router again and manually assign an IP range for the router. (Not sure exactly what to do here)
- Reboot and try again.

What is the simplest way to do it? What would be the best route to go for making it a stealthy install so if persons were to look into the server/network it wouldn't be detected?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-13 08:48:30
Print Post

Re: Creating wireless network off wired server

[re: michty_me] [link to this post]

If you use a router then ideally you want to give it an IP within the subnet the network is using - but that should only be relevant to allow you to manage from the network.

Both your solutions are viable - the router one is the cheapest as you don't need to buy a WAP or switch (after all, that is essentially 2 of the main components of the router).

As far as hiding it not sure what you mean. Make sure you set the admin password on the router to a good strong password to stop anyone getting directly into it. Make sure that the wireless security is as strong as you can support (preferably WPA2 but WPA if not). Set a good password for the wireless. And if you really want to go a step further to hiding the wireless itself then turn of the SSID and manually enter the wireless network name when connecting clients.

I am assuming you aren't giving public access to your internal network? If you are then I would suggest you are already compromising security.
Standard User michty_me
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-13 10:41:57
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi Ian.
Thanks for the reply!!

I'm not too fussed on the cost. Whatever is the easiest option I would probably go with. It is just something for myself to be able to connect my phone/ltablet when in the workshop.

As for hiding it, I really mean if IT on land were to connect to the server, How easy is it to identify that I would have something like that on the server.

The SSID was always going to be hidden with strong passwords and my use only.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-13 13:19:03
Print Post

It isn't actually on the server it is part of the network fabric - the server itself will know nothing about it.

However, if your company has security requirements then you could be going against your AUP by connecting a wireless router (and indeed connecting your own personal devices to it).

There are tools available to IT pros to detect rogue access points. Whether your company uses them will depend on the size of the company and the security profile.

EDIT : If you are concerned about getting caught then you almost certainly work in an environment where you should not be doing this. I take no responsibility if you follow the advice I gave in good faith and get into trouble with your employer for doing so (my own company would consider it a disciplinary and could even be cause for dismissal).

Edited by ian72 (Thu 07-Nov-13 13:21:39)

Standard User michty_me
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-13 18:52:33
Print Post

Hi Ian. Thanks again. Not to worry, I am not a person who would blame someone else for my actions.
Anyway, at present I have no idea on the setup at this new work place. My first place I was considered the onboard IT, my current place we carry IT onboard so have no rights to anything. I'll have to see whatthe setup will be at this new place but I suspect it will be bback to me.
The accommodation area will already have wireless access so technically ill just be extending from that to my workshop.
I don't see it being an issue myself but if they were to say something then it is easily removed. As the ship is in build phase I may just get the yard to pull in some extra Ethernet cables to the server so I'm doing away with large routers/WiFi points etc.

I'm really just looking for different options as nothing is set in stone yet.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Thu 07-Nov-13 19:20:57
Print Post

wifi inside ships is really difficult, so much steel and water around, - outside is easy.

but if you are just adding another access point (on the same network as the accomdation area) do try and get it designed in
Standard User michty_me
(learned) Thu 07-Nov-13 19:41:51
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Yeah we have managed to talk the IT here to relocate an AP so that we can receive the signal in our workshop.
Hopefully I can get to the yard quick enough to get that done. Failing that I'll maybe just get the same model/brand as the accommodation items and hook it up as mentioned before.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 08:35:46
Print Post

That is good news, always best to ensure the IT people are happy and if they can get it done in build it would be a neater cleaner solution all round. If they haven't yet run the cables through the ship then running 2 should not be a great deal more expensive than running one (assuming enough capacity in trunking).

In an office environment you would always look to build in spare network points as you never know what you might want to add in future. With a ship I would say that is even more vital as I imagine it is much easier to run cables through a hull at build time than to try and do it later.

If they can't do it then either of the options will definitely work fine.
Standard User michty_me
(learned) Fri 08-Nov-13 09:03:54
Print Post

When I said above about talking the IT dept to move an AP so we could get signal, I meant on my current vessel. I am unsure if I will have IT on my new vessel.

Anyway, At present I believe the metal is just cut for the ship so there will be no cables cut/fitted yet. It is a long way off completion (Due 2015 some time) so I think I should manage to get a cable or two extra pulled in.

I think that is the best option and safest without interfering with the main network. I'll just ensure that we have a 'spare' AP on board which just so happens to be kept warm in my workshop.

Thank you for the assistance though. It is a lot clearer now anyway.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 08-Nov-13 10:03:42
Print Post

If you had spare APs it is always best to keep them powered up for "testing" - you wouldn't want to need to use the spare and find it doesn't work wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to