I'm looking for some advice to fitting an access point in our ships workshop.
Our plan was to fit a small ethernet switch/hub (Not sure which is best) to the workshop wall point with one cable to the desktop PC and another ethernet cable to a portable AP such as the Asus 330NUL.
Another suggestion was to use an old wireless router I have laying around and do the following.
- Connect to computer and login.
- Set DHCP to off. (To obtain IP address from the primary DHCP server from the network)
- Save and power down.
- Connect one ethernet cable to socket in wall then to LAN 1 on router.
- Connect Ethernet cable to LAN 2 on router to Desktop PC
- Power up.
- If issues remain then log in to router again and manually assign an IP range for the router. (Not sure exactly what to do here)
- Reboot and try again.
What is the simplest way to do it? What would be the best route to go for making it a stealthy install so if persons were to look into the server/network it wouldn't be detected?