Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User surfninja
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 11:33:56
Print Post

Help Creating Bandwidth Wireless Network Can Be Regulated

[link to this post]

Hi there, stationed on a very remote military base in the middle east and I have been tasked with the job of getting our internet up and running along with being the administrator of monitoring the bandwith being used. We found a company that will be doing our satellite internet to the camp but i need help with the monitoring portion.

Basically we have a bandwith limit per month and I just want to be able to monitor how much each person is pulling so that everyone is using their amount and we dont have a torrent hog. So what routers would you suggest because we will be buying a few to cover our area and what software should i use to help me accomplish this task. I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide on the topic. Thank you for you time.

-Special Operator 2nd Class, USN.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Nov-13 12:43:33
Print Post

Re: Help Creating Bandwidth Wireless Network Can Be Regulate

[re: surfninja] [link to this post]

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?...
A wireless hotspot router is the sort of thing you need to consider, i.e. what the commercial operators use.

To be honest best solution if this is for person use would be to approach a commercial Wi-Fi provider and research what other locations are already using.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User surfninja
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 18:03:50
Print Post

Ok ill look into that but how can i manage how much bandwidth each ip is pulling?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User panda
(committed) Thu 07-Nov-13 18:13:30
Print Post

You may also want to investigate a package such as pfSense or Smoothwall.
Traffic shaping or perhaps Delay Pools can be used to regulate bandwidth, as well as denying or limiting access by closing ports etc.

Eats shoots and leaves.
  Print Thread

Jump to