Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GorillaWheels
(learned) Tue 12-Nov-13 22:30:56
Print Post

Out going phone calls problem.

[link to this post]

Hi guys, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, but wasn't sure where best to ask.
For the last few weeks I've been having a problem with it taking up to maybe 5-6 attempts to make an out going phone call. This doesn't happened every single time, but frequently enough to be pretty annoying. When the call should start ringing, you just get the ringtone again?
We have a cordless phone in the living room, it is connected to the phone line via an extension cable under the carpet down the corridor, into our ancient master socket in our first bedroom.

I'm basically wondering is this just a sign that the copper cable is giving out in the extension cabling? It goes under the carpet across two doorways and as a full-time wheelchair user I've been going over the cable for a good few years now, through the doorways. Before you say the obvious I know this is not the way it should be connected but hey ho.
Any thoughts be much appreciated.
Dave
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 08:37:52
Print Post

Re: Out going phone calls problem.

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

If you have a corded phone check that at the master socket? Ideally the test socket failing that with extension unplugged.

Owning a cheap corded phone is a good safety measure as will work during power cut.

If that works ok then new extension needed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Wed 13-Nov-13 09:37:31
Print Post

orning GW

Have you considered putting the Cordless Phone Base Unit in the bedroom or otherwise near the Master Socket; and either using any cordless hand-set you already have or obtaining a suitable one, in your livingroom etc, hence avoiding the use of a lengthy extension etc?

Although NOT WiFi, it would give you a greater convenience with your phone, akin to WiFi relative to additional PCs, printers etc.

The lower frequencies used by cordless phones give better coverage, compared to WiFi.

Generally, those cordless phones conform to DECT specifications, so obtaining another should not be problematical.

------------------------------------

Our base unit incorporates keypad, microphone and speaker, so is a fully functional phone in its own right, plus one of the cordless hand-sets uses the cradle also on the base unit, with another three handsets around the house (plus two conventional corded phones and one ancient corded phone on stand-by for "Quiet Testing" etc).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 10:07:56
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

If looking at Dect phones I would recommend the Panasonic range I use this set and can cross three floors and make it into the old extension downstairs (narrow Victorian terrace) when the base station is upstairs and sat on top of metal PC cases.

Battery life is great as can leave on out of its stand for days and still have plenty of power left for calls.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Wed 13-Nov-13 12:36:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron,
I did have an idea to try that, but of course it had slipped my mind when I posted this last night. I will try that later. We don't have an NTE5 master socket, just an old LJ2/1A I think, so I'll try my trusty old corded phone with the extension unplugged.
Actually we do have Panasonic DECT cordless phones, an older model though.
Dave
(learned) Wed 13-Nov-13 12:52:30
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Afternoon eckiedoo,

That is sound advice, I'll probably do that after doing a corded phone test on my master socket, extension unplugged. I did plug the corded phone in yesterday, in the living room, but stupidly forgot to do it at the master. The problem was still there, so presumably there is nothing wrong with my DECT cordless phones, and made me think extension cable the cause.
If the problem still persists from the master with a corded phone then that it will mean I must have a line fault. We'll see

Dave
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 13:21:30
Print Post

If the extension is unplugged and any ADSL hardware is also disconnected, then yes it does suggest a line fault.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 13-Nov-13 13:22:51
Print Post

I also have an older silver model, slightly less range on that one, but have kept as a backup in case main set dies.

On the forgetting, don't worry I totally forget to put an ADSL filter on an extension in my house years ago, and wondered why my broadband was slow....happens to us all at some point.

(learned) Wed 13-Nov-13 13:41:29
Print Post

I'm not going to disconnect my router as I'm currently in a 10 day training period, just upgraded to ADSL2+ from ADSL Max with EE, so I'll just try the corded phone, extension out see what happens. Friday mid day should be my 10 days up.
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:07:38
Print Post

I also recommend Panasonic. The model you show DOES have a speaker phone, however last time I bought some I made a mistake and bought a cheaper set without. It was a mistake as I much prefer to have them set to speaker and then can use them hands free.

The OP mentioned a wheel chair. Great thing about a wireless phone is you can drop it in a bag attached to the chair making it easy to reach when it rings. You may do that already.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to