Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Mon 18-Nov-13 21:42:25
Print Post

Router suggestion to share wifi hotspot from smartphone?

[link to this post]

Having recently had my hopes dashed for wimax, I looking at my backup plan to get a smartphone with unlimited internet and tethering to share with devices at home. I currently do this with my own phone for downloading large files and updates but find I have to leave the phone near a window which means the wifi signal is limited through the house.
I thought this would be a simple matter of a wifi repeater, but it seems most of these will at least halve the available speed. And so, the questions:
1. Are there any wifi extenders that operate without this loss?
2. Are there any routers that would accept the internet access tethered via a usb lead and provide wifi access that way instead.
3. The phone signal at in my study is very poor, dropping out frequently, but i have a laptop in the kitchen near the window. Could the smartphone tether via usb then connect to the router via ethernet to provide a solution?

Thanks for any help or suggestions
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Nov-13 22:38:23
Print Post

Re: Router suggestion to share wifi hotspot from smartphone?

[re: jtthedevil] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/74-as...

I'd have expected the WiFi speeds to exceed what the mobile signal can normally provide by some margin.

A pair of these TP Link devices £15 each

One to capture the WiFi in Repeater mode and then stick another device on the end of the Ethernet that will have the signal too and set up as a wireless access point. The Ethernet lets you place the second access point in the best place for WiFi coverage.

Another option is a 3G/4G router and a suitable USB dongle to host the SIM card on the right data plan.

Unlocked devices that will just take a SIM card D-Link DWR-512/E HSDPA 3G Router are another option ~ £130

Another all-in-one mobile broadband router but cheaper at £80

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 01:42:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for a speedy reply. I tethered my Galaxy S3 LTE to my laptop and connected it to my WD N900 router. After setting it to wired access point, pushing buttons randomly and hoping for the best, I was able to use the wifi to access the internet from my other devices. Then I realised that would involve leaving the laptop on constantly which isn't normally done, or particularly economical.
I looked at a few of the devices suggested and did a bit of searching alternatives.
The routers that integrate the sim I think are out as I was looking at 3 as the provider and they are quick to shut down any phone sim found in a router, which would leave you restricted to a data plan, whereas the one plan allows for tethering.
That left me looking at the TP Link TL WR702N which you had suggested and got me thinking I really only need one and can connect the ethernet to my WD N900 via cable or powerline.
I also found a TP Link TL MR3420 wireless 3/4g router which would seem to fit the bill to and provide wifi too, plus the availability to connect to the WD N900 should the range not suffice across the house. Only question mark with that is would it be suitable with the phone I get via usb as it seems more designed with USB dongles in mind

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Nov-13 07:33:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/74-as...

I'd have expected the WiFi speeds to exceed what the mobile signal can normally provide by some margin.

A pair of these TP Link devices £15 each

One to capture the WiFi in Repeater mode and then stick another device on the end of the Ethernet that will have the signal too and set up as a wireless access point. The Ethernet lets you place the second access point in the best place for WiFi coverage.

Another option is a 3G/4G router and a suitable USB dongle to host the SIM card on the right data plan.

Unlocked devices that will just take a SIM card D-Link DWR-512/E HSDPA 3G Router are another option ~ £130

Another all-in-one mobile broadband router but cheaper at £80

Yet another 3G, requiring SIM-only is the TP-Link M5350 High Speed 3G Wi-Fi Unlocked Modem (HSPA+, 21.6Mbps), which is £44!

Regards,
John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-13 08:43:39
Print Post

Never seen any one use phone into usb port of router. Drivers in the dongles are all the router expects to see so 99% sure using USB and phone is a no go

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 19-Nov-13 10:04:33
Print Post

Yes, I think the choice of a single TP-Link unit linked to your router will be the best, compared with what I assume was ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) which you achieved via the laptop using the wi-fi as the internet link and the ethernet to allow other devices to use the laptop as a router.

I only mention ICS because someone else might later want to know how you did it, and 'pushing buttons randomly' would leave few clues smile

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Nov-13 12:39:31
Print Post

Here's a support article from ASUS showing how you can tether your phone to their N66 router http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail.aspx?SLanguage=en...

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Nov-13 15:05:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Another android setting I've learnt today then - and a handy one.

Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Tue 19-Nov-13 17:22:20
Print Post

Thanks all for your help.

Reading further I found the TP link router MR3420 definately does not connect. I also found out that the speeds can be restricted by three if they detect the tethering via usb as someone else found out on their Asus N66. Iplayer and Netflix etc were virtually unuseable, yet when they shared the wifi hotspot and Asus as a repeater it worked flawlessly. So its looking like my best option is also my cheapest option of the TP Link WR702N which will pick up the wifi hotspot and can transfer it to the WD N900 via ethernet or powerline.
And Ultra, thanks, I believe it was ICS but I was quite literally agreeing to anything it wanted and may have inadvertantly sold my soul. Or the kids. Which would def solve my problem as they are the ones currently eating up my bandwidth on my 0.5MB line!

If I do go ahead with this i'll report back how I get on and any problems encountered for anyone else in the same situation.
Standard User jtthedevil
(newbie) Thu 28-Nov-13 19:36:03
Print Post

so, went and got the WR702N. Tried it out in wireless repeater mode and it worked fine without the need for the WD N900. The only problem my daughters found was losing signal during their minecraft home server games. I'm assuming this was possibly down to different devices being on either the smartphone signal or the repeated signal. I tried to connect it via ethernet to the WD N900 but could no longer access the internet via any of the devices going through the N900.
The WR702N has several modes, router, access point, bridge, client and repeater. I tried it in bridge and client with it connecting for a very short period before disconnecting again.
Which of these modes would be best suited for what I am trying to achieve,; capture the wifi from the hotspot and send it via ethernet to the WD N900?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to