Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-13 00:27:51
Print Post

Wireless problem

[link to this post]

I recently needed to replace my Billion 7800n, so got the Billion 7800DXL.
Until recently, I've never had reason to use the Wi-Fi, but have a notebook computer too now.

With the 7800n, my notebook and two visiting family members iPhones were 'seen' and connected as soon as they arrived or the notebook was switched on.

With the iPhones, there's been a problem connecting each time they've visited, and eventually they manage it if re-doing the password process etc.

Today, I used the notebook for the first time since getting the new router, and it kept losing the connection: sometimes very briefly, other times for a longer period.
I was sitting at a table right through the wall of where my router is ..perhaps 4 feet away.
Son found his iPhone losing connection too while he was here.

He re-did the password etc on both devices and they seemed fine, but a couple of hours later, long after he'd left, the notebook was continually losing the connection.

This router only has 2 ariels whereas the 7800n had thee, but not sure that would make any difference.

If I get time tomorrow, I'll try using the notebook in this same room as the router and see if it remains connected.

Just wondered if there was likely to be any simple reason for the poor performance in just the next room.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 12:13:22
Print Post

Re: Wireless problem

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

What OS is main PC?

Try switching uPnP in router OFF.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-13 13:32:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The OS is W7 pro

Just tried turning uPnP off in the router but it made no difference.
I brought the notebook in here, only two feet from the router and it still keeps losing the connection.

Other son came a short while ago, and I asked him to try making a connection with his iPhone and his will not connect at all.

Eldest son needs to keep trying and re-entering the password before his eventually picks it up, and then it drops out frequently.
With the 7800n, it connected as soon as he arrived here.

I have 2.4 and 5g enabled.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 21-Nov-13 13:43:23
Print Post

I'd turn 5 GHz off temporarily (or change the SSID so that it's different to the 2.4 GHz SSID) to rule out problems with devices roaming between the two signals.

If things still don't work properly, try different channels (InSSIDer on an iPhone will display the local WiFi usage, but remember that other devices use 2.4 GHz).

It's also worth installing any available firmware updates on the router, as the update may contain a later wireless driver. Remember to save a copy of the router configuration first in case the firmware update resets it.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 16:46:29
Print Post

just check if you have Internet Gateway Network Connection connected on any PC. You shouldn't; it's for ICS but can cause discons if somehow it does run.

Don't think it would be a password/authentication issue but just haphazard discons.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-13 19:06:40
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

I've tried turning off 5 G - no different.

The router was new just a few weeks ago, and was fully updated.
Hasn't worked properly with Wi-Fi from the start.

May get some further insight tomorrow.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Nov-13 19:56:46
Print Post

Hasn't worked properly with Wi-Fi from the start.

Some similar wi-fi issue posts on the Billion forum:

e.g. http://www.billion.uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t...

Alastair

plusnet
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:35:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I've looked for Internet Gateway Connection, but not too sure where I'll find it if it is there.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Thu 21-Nov-13 21:45:19
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Oh my!
There's a few threads there with Wireless problems too. Wish I'd seen all that before I got this router - could just as easily got another 7800n. It worked perfectly.

I'm thinking perhaps I should get in touch with Amazon and see if I can return it rather than start fiddling about.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Nov-13 22:23:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by TrishaH:
Oh my!
There's a few threads there with Wireless problems too. Wish I'd seen all that before I got this router - could just as easily got another 7800n. It worked perfectly.

I'm thinking perhaps I should get in touch with Amazon and see if I can return it rather than start fiddling about.

Good idea smile

Alastair

plusnet
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to