Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Nov-13 16:34:05
Print Post

EeeBox as Wireless Access Point

[link to this post]

My shirt pocket sized camera failed due to not being able to latch memory cards.

The replacement camera I bought, a Canon PowerShot A3500IS has built in WiFi so should, in theory, make transferring photos to my pc easier?

Problem is my network is wired CAT5 and the Router, a DreyTek Vigor 2920Vn lives up in the roof space, so the WiFi signal is poor in the vicinity of my pc - which of course is wired.

Now near by is my wife's Asus EeeBox which is also connected to the wired network, but which also has inbuilt WFi.

So, is it possible to configure the EeeBox (WinXP SP3) to act as a WiFi Access Point so that I can access the camera from my nearby pc via my

Thanks!

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 28-Nov-13 17:13:21
Print Post

Re: EeeBox as Wireless Access Point

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Long time since I've done this (much prefer dedicated hardware)

but http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7189539_share-ethernet-con... I think has an XP guide

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Thu 28-Nov-13 23:18:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Cheers for that link MrSaffron, I will explore in more detail when I get a quiet moment or two. Whilst the article certainly has a WinXP SP3 setting up guide, for some reason my wife's EeeBox does not have some of the expected 'boxes' showing, which seems odd. I can experiment more on a Toshiba WinXP SP3 netbook, since if I take the network settings of that to the other side of the ether, I can always run the Toshiba CD-ROM and bring it back - which I ended up doing the last time I went exploring the network settings... confused

Thanks again.

Cheers!

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 29-Nov-13 08:10:42
Print Post

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

Still have an XP3 box but many years since I delved into those settings - good luck.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to