Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Fri 20-Dec-13 15:35:25
Print Post

phone/network wiring question

[link to this post]

Good afternoon all,

I have replaced my NTE5 faceplate with an AdslNation one with phone and adsl sockets.
Now for various reasons I need to run a hardwired extension off that into my lounge that will in essence become my master socket.

I've got cat5E cable, but how do I wire it as I want both a phone and modem socket in the lounge.

i presume I take two seperate pairs of wires, and connect 1 to the unfiltered and 1 to the filtered feeds on the adslnation backplate, then run the cable into the lounge.... then what??

Do I need another socket that offers both a phone and adsl socket or if so what do I do with the wires.

My router/modem connects via rj11 cable to the wall socket.

many thanks for your help
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:37:37
Print Post

Re: phone/network wiring question

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

You can do

One pair of wires for ADSL and another twisted pair for the voice and terminate at different sockets, and you would fit something like a modular faceplate with an RJ11 socket and a BT socket and wire each pair appropriately.

My preferred solution is to use one pair from the unfiltered side, and fit faceplate and backbox

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Fri 20-Dec-13 19:15:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I think I may go for you suggestion.

thanks Andrew

Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 20-Dec-13 22:23:27
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Mr S's suggestion is fine. However, when you get the two modules you need a BT Secondary and NOT a master.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sat 21-Dec-13 20:41:25
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Cheers mhc!

regards,
  Print Thread

Jump to