Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Reddwarf4ever
(newbie) Fri 20-Dec-13 17:14:01
Print Post

Need some serious help choosing correct equipment please

[link to this post]

Hi
I currently have ADSL from talk talk. The router I am using is an old THOMPSON model. Unfortunately the wireless only just reaches the rear of the property....I tried a belkin n wireless modem router PM01523uk which says it has the greatest coverage. It actually reaches outside the house and halfway down the garden.....although it refused to connect to just one wireless device, a usb wireless adapter, saying the password was wrong......... ( ultimate aim is get internet in the barn at the end of the garden )

My first thought was to get an extender positioned just inside the rear of the house with the belkin router. However whenever I look at 'amazon' reviews for networking equipment, generally, there seems to be as many bad reviews as good reviews.....also I now understand that an extender actually loses half of the bandwidth.....I struggle as it is with a phone adsl connection. Then I found that possibly an access point might be a better option. Can run an ethernet cable from existing router ( Thompson or belkin) to the barn, then connect using a wireless access point. As I understand it, I would not then lose any bandwidth.....it would be better if the access point had the same 'SSID' as the router to give better continuity when moving mobile wireless devices ( unless I am wrong or this is not possible). Again choice of access point device is difficult. The TRENDnet TEW-750DAP Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Access Point (600Mbps) has been recommended. I think my Thompson. And belkin routers are more than likely only 2.4 ghz......but if I get a dual band that will hopefully future proof, in case i get a better router later.
There was a further option i considered, getting a super router which would make the journey to the barn on its own....again reviews confused me.....it would need to travel...30 feet to the rear of the house through three brick walls, then outside it travels in open air for approx 50 feet through a wooden wall to the barn.
Sorry for such a long question......but can't see the trees for the forest....
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:41:09
Print Post

Re: Need some serious help choosing correct equipment please

[re: Reddwarf4ever] [link to this post]

On super router, you could spend a small fortune before finding one that works.

Best advice if you can run do it, run the Ethernet and fit a wireless access point, which are pretty cheap really. Dual band is a good way to go, but as you may have noticed 5GHz does not have the same range as 2.4GHz.

In your case it is the brick walls that will be the issue and you might make it on a dry day, but if brickwork is wet from rain that will help to block it nicely.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Reddwarf4ever
(newbie) Fri 20-Dec-13 19:14:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi
Yes I think the access point is the way to go....any suggestions for a good make ?

Perhaps ......TRENDnet TEW-750DAP Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Access Point (600Mbps)

I don't see how brick walls will make any difference, as I will be running an ethernet cable from the router to the barn, where the WAP will be sited....the WAP only has to provide wireless within the barn area....no walls, just an open space.....big shed really....

The existing router will continue to provide wireless to the household.

Will the WAP have the same bandwidth / throughput as the source router wireless ?

Also can the WAP Have the same SSID address to allow portable wireless devices to move between the router wireless and WAP wireless without having to log on again with a different WIFI device

Thanks

Edited by Reddwarf4ever (Fri 20-Dec-13 19:15:52)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Dec-13 20:22:20
Print Post

A modern wap should when close manage full 100 Mbps that the ethernet will carry many times the speed if Adsl

Yes you can use same ssid and security keys and devices should seamlessly switch

As for which wap no big preference from me

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User saladisfun
(newbie) Fri 20-Dec-13 23:09:34
Print Post

If your barn is on the same mains electricity supply as the house, you can simply use a powerline ethernet extender. Simple, fast connection speeds and modest cost.
try http://www.powerlinenetwork.co.uk
  Print Thread

Jump to