Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TheLastMan
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jan-14 11:29:47
Print Post

Weird wi-fi dropout issue

[link to this post]

I have a Buffalo AirStation Nfiniti Wireless-N300 High-Power Gigabit Router (phew!) This gives a generally reliable wireless connection... however it struggles to consistently transfer large numbers of files at full speed without freezing or dropping out for about 10 seconds roughly every minute. In other words it is very "stop-start" and very predictable. When tracked using a data throughput graphing application it looks like a smooth road with regular potholes.

For streaming (such as BBC iPlayer, 4OD, Youtube and Squeezebox music) this does not generally seem to be a problem, presumably because of efficient buffering. However, if I am copying multiple files (usually photos from my laptop to a NAS), the file that is copying during the drop out will usually fail and be required to "skip" before the process will resume. This is very frustrating and multiple file transfers over wi-fi will take two or three attempts before all files are transferred.

This is not a problem if the network connection is wired. In fact if I am doing this kind of work now I have to go and sit next to the router and connect the laptop with CAT5 cable, which is not always convenient (although always a lot faster!).

Anyone else see this problem? Is it likely to be router specific?

Matthew
--------
Demon dial-up ('97) > Freeserve dial-up ('00) > Zen 512 ('02) > Metronet PayGo 1000 ('04) > Newnet Home 2050 Lite ('05) > Home 8050 Lite ('06) > Home 8050 M ('07) > back down to Home 8050 Lite ('07) > Be Value > ('08) > O2 Standard ('09) > Orange Broadband and Anytime Calls ('10) > ?
  Print Thread

Jump to