Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Sun 12-Jan-14 22:44:10
Print Post

Old Ethernet card causing connection problems ?

[link to this post]

I have old HP desktop running XP just for old printer / scanner (no Win 7 drivers).
It has a Realtek ethernet on board. When we had just ADSL, whenever it was switched on it would cut the full ADSL Max 8Mb/s connection to half speed.
Connecting it with the main Win 7 computer's ethernet cable and trying other router port(s) made no difference, so it must me the Realtek ethernet, right ?
We didn't used it much, it just needed a router (Draytek Vigor 2710VG) reboot to get back up to speed, so we lived with it.
Recently we got upgraded to ADSL2+, getting up to 20Mb/s, very nice.
But now when I switch on the HP, it just kills off the internet connection altogether !
OK, I will just connect it using WiFi, but I am puzzled why the old ethernet card is causing problems to the router, and now completely stopping it from connecting ?
Thanks, regards,
Martin
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Jan-14 12:20:54
Print Post

Re: Old Ethernet card causing connection problems ?

[re: martinsq] [link to this post]

What speed is the rogue Ethernet port connecting at? With a modern switch in a router it should not cause any problems, if running slower than other ports on the switch, but maybe something is odd e.g. it has Windows ICS configured on the machine and causes DHCP havoc for example.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Thu 16-Jan-14 00:08:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry Mr Saffron, but you have not read my post fully.
When the 'rogue ethernet ADAPTER' ( in the old XP computer when switched on), it will:
1. Half the ROUTER connection speed in in ADSL.
2. Prevent the router from connecting to ADSL2+ (router shows connection, but repeatedly dials PPP).
Regards,
Martin

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Jan-14 10:10:33
Print Post

Suggestions:

1. Make sure all drivers for the card are up to date.
- Check effect.
2. Assign a fixed IP address
- Check effect.
3. Don't waste any more time, disable or remove the card and fit a new one as they are pretty cheap.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Jan-14 11:26:07
Print Post

In which case it sounds like a radio interference issue.

If this does not happen when the Ethernet cable is not connected, then the suggestion is that the noise is leaking out from the Ethernet cable due to a serious noise source in the PC.

A misconfigured Ethernet card should never do what you suggest, only some form of interference is all I can imagine.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Sun 19-Jan-14 00:03:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Stumped !
Disabled the on board Ethernet port, installed D- Link WiFi.
Connects to the router, but totally [censored] the internet connection !!!
I.e. router stays connected, shows (reduced) connection speed, and PPPOA,
BUT can't even load Google homepage on ANY computer !
I have to disconnect the WiFi on offending XP machine and reboot the router to get
working internet connection.
Can't think what the problem might be, the XP machine worked OK before, but as I said previously used tot halve the ADSL connection speed (on etherent cable).
We now have ADSL2+, but nothing else has changed....,
HELP anybody ?
(only really need the XP machine to run the printer, but needs to be on home network...)
Regards,
Martin
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 19-Jan-14 01:14:10
Print Post

This makes no sense, but you need to do some diagnostic here. For example, have a ping going on from a good PC as well as a continual speedtest, connect the offending PC and observe changed to the ping and the speed - the delay it takes between it happens, and post the results here etc.

For example, does the impact occur when WIndows starts or right from the time you push the power button on the PC? All these obvious steps will narrow things down.. If it occurs in BIOS, consider electrical interference/hardware defect, if it occurs in Windows, consider an IP misconfiguration or something clashing with the IP of the router or something.......

If google does not load, do a ping to google, does the name resolution even work, etc, etc....

Basically, lots more diagnostic needed.

Btw - assuming you mean Sync speed in the following
1. Half the ROUTER connection speed in in ADSL.

Then I think you are dealing with electrical interference from the PC - probably from the PSU specifically. Would advise throwing PC away and buying a new one.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 19-Jan-14 01:16:34)

Standard User omnius
(member) Sun 19-Jan-14 01:58:20
Print Post

What printer you got? we have a hp deskjet 5650 that my partner got in 2005 (before we got together), we use it as a backup printer due to issues with our current hp officejet pro 8600 plus (the well known sleep bug).

it works fine connected to our main win 7 system and (home grouped) win 8 laptop by useing its own built in driver (HP deskjet 5600 series HPA (whatever that means)) the only thing missing is the advance tools the main driver provides however a google search showed us what keys to press on the printer to do the same job.

Edited by omnius (Sun 19-Jan-14 02:07:15)

Standard User kevindb
(learned) Sun 19-Jan-14 09:56:27
Print Post

Martin,

The switched mode power supply in your HP machine running XP is faulty and is producing significant amounts of radio frequency interference. This interference is affecting your ADSL connection because it is interfering with the ADSL frequencies. The interference is made worse as far as the router is concerned when you introduce a pretty much direct link from the interference source to it (ie. plug its network cable in)

Your solution is to replace the failing power supply in the machine or buy a replacement. Please consider when using that machine that you may be affecting the ADSL of your neighbours! I have experienced this situation three times in the past 4 years, two occasions were faulty power supplies in satellite receivers - the third and current episode I'm still investigating. I can assure you it is incredibly frustrating as a neighbour to have your ADSL connection knocked out completely or reduced to half speed on a random basis - we live in a much more connected and 'shared spectrum' world than we think.

On behalf of your neighbours, please replace the power supply. Take a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm and also purchase a small MW radio if you don't have one to prove to yourself how much interference the machine is producing.

Kevin
Standard User martinsq
(regular) Mon 20-Jan-14 23:26:40
Print Post

[re: kevindb] [link to this post]

OK, got a bit closer to the problem.

It starts when the XP tries to connect to the router, whether ethernet or WiFi.
There appears to be something wrong with the XP 'connect to network' software,
but quite why it '[censored] up' the ADSL/2+ connection is beyond me.

Nothing wrong with the power supply, the XP is running right now, as a type, and with both the ethernet and WiFi disabled, my ADSL2+, network and WiFi are fine.

Will re-install the XP network software when I get a chance.
Thanks, regards,
Martin
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to