Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jan-14 11:01:39
Print Post

Billion 7800 and mixed computer routing

[link to this post]

After a very long delay I'm finally going to get myself an Apple Mac computer. It's to be used alongside my existing Windows machine, on a home (wired) network. A printer on the home network will be shared with the two machines. The other feature is, of course, that both machines will be independently capable of accessing the Internet. This will be essentially routing, not Internet sharing.

Now, somebody told me some time ago that Macs assume PPPoE encapsulation, and that only. I somehow doubt that that's true but let's assume for the moment that it is. My ISP requires me to connect to the Internet using PPPoA. So, how should I configure my Billion 7800 router-modem (wired version) to cater for PPPoE as well? Will I need to change the 7800's mode from PPPoA to some sort of partially-bridged arrangement?

Looking in the 7800's user interface, it seems it can facilitate these:

PPPoE (RFC2516, PPP over Ethernet)
PPPoA (RFC2364, PPP over AAL5)
MPoA (RFC1483/2684, Multiprotocol Encapsulation over AAL5)
IPoA (RFC1577, Classic IP and ARP over ATM)
Pure Bridge

I'm on a fixed WAN address and the LAN addresses will also probably have to be fixed ones too, in as much as when I networked the printer (an old model) in an experiment with two Windows machines about a year ago I found that the only way that the printer could be recognised was to set it up with a fixed IP address, rather than via DHCP. This was, I'm sure, due to a limitation in the functionality of the printer's LAN interface and nothing more.

Whatever encapsulation protocol is used in the end, I'd of course want to preserve full NAT firewalling by the router and to incur the least amount of transmission overhead. I'm on a slow ADSL connection to the exchange.

Can somebody say for certain whether I'll need to reconfigure my 7800 to either of the last three in that list and, if so, what disadvantages would result? I'm no expert on encapsulation. Surely, mixed networking of Macs and Windows machines in a home context must be a common requirement?
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 13-Jan-14 11:21:49
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800 and mixed computer routing

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by meditator:
Now, somebody told me some time ago that Macs assume PPPoE encapsulation, and that only. I somehow doubt that that's true but let's assume for the moment that it is.
It may be true (I can't find PPPoA in the settings on my iMac), but either way it's irrelevant- it's the router that handles the login, routing etc, not the Mac.

Leave the router as it is, just connect the Mac to an Ethernet port on the router and it will behave the same (and have the same facilities available) as anything else on the network, be it Windows, Linux, whatever.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Mon 13-Jan-14 11:23:09)

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jan-14 12:11:13
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Yes, I appreciated that the router does indeed handle the encapsulation, not the machine itself, but what had put a doubt in my mind, and kinda confirming what I'd been told, was seeing the procedure for setting up email on a Mac in a book I was thumbing through the other day and it seemed to infer PPPoE only (there being a PPPoE tab in the Mac's settings for configuring the mail servers). Perhaps that book was simply out of date?

Anyway, I'm glad it's going to be as simple an exercise as I'd originally hoped, and as you've now confirmed. Many thanks, Billford.

Edited by meditator (Mon 13-Jan-14 12:18:57)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 13-Jan-14 12:18:43
Print Post

The book was probably referring to the US where PPPoE via a bridging modem was a very common thing in the days before households had multiple computers.

These days leave all the encapsulation to the router, and just rely on the NAT in the router to share the single WAN IP address between the machines on the LAN

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 13-Jan-14 12:22:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeh, the book was an american publication, so what you've stated now figures, MrSaffron.
Standard User spangler
(newbie) Wed 29-Jan-14 11:36:43
Print Post

I think the only thing you need to do (as you're not using DHCP) is to set the the router up for the MAC, and the MAC up for the network, which you'll find in the TCP/IP settings ion the Network Control Panel (Applications ->Utilities->Network)

be thankful you're not in OS9 days smile

cheers
  Print Thread

Jump to