Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User xKratosx
(member) Tue 21-Jan-14 15:41:32
Print Post

Best FTTC for multiple static IP addresses

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm currently with Be and have one of their Thomson BeBoxes... it mostly works fine, but I will be hopefully moving to FTTC soon so need a new router.

To configure the IPs at present I had to do all sorts of Telnet commands, but the general idea is that I have set a fixed static local IP address for 3 virtual machines on my computer, and then my router will then give those an external fixed IP address... ideally I want something similar with a new router

Can anyone please recommend one? The ISP I may be moving to (Zen) will give you the Technicolor 582n router for £30 which frankly looks awful and I'm sure wouldn't do the trick.

I've heard good things about Netgear, Draytek and Billion so I'm not sure if any of those would be suitable? Ideally I want something that not only supports multiple IPs but also makes them incredibly easy to setup... that would be nice smile

Many thanks

Edited by xKratosx (Tue 21-Jan-14 15:41:59)

Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:51:36
Print Post

Re: Best FTTC for multiple static IP addresses

[re: xKratosx] [link to this post]

My experience of Netgear equipment is generally good, it works well for what it claims it can do. However I have found, with netgear, it is very much a case of you get what you pay for, the cheaper netgear kit is good for simple stuff, but anything more advanced you really need to look at paying more. I also haven't touched a netgear router in over three years, so cannot comment on their newer routers, but it always used to be the midrange SOHO routers, and better, would handle multiple static IP's mapped through to internal devices. Although I am seriously unimpressed with their DMZ implementation in any thing but their most expensive routers.

I can't comment on billion at all.

I currently have a draytek router, and it works very well. Is full featured, and very stable, but lacks IPv6 support. I have recently bought a more recent model, which supports IPv6, but have yet to replace my working router. Draytek routers also don't come cheap, so you are paying for the feature set.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Standard User xKratosx
(member) Thu 23-Jan-14 11:09:47
Print Post

[re: pmb00cs] [link to this post]

Thank you very much for the advice - sounds like for non heavy use the Netgear could be a good option then! I will look into Draytek further but they deifnitely seem to be quite a bit more expensive.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Sun 02-Feb-14 00:42:09
Print Post

[re: xKratosx] [link to this post]

I have a Billion 7800N with my Plusnet FTTC and it works very well with the VDSL modem plugged into the EWAN port if the 7800, it's very easy to configure and has loads of routing options.

If I were buying a router now, I probably would go for one of the newer Asus routers which get good reviews from the mags and from colleagues at work.
Standard User xKratosx
(member) Tue 04-Feb-14 11:07:43
Print Post

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Thank you, in the end I went for the Asus RT-N66U - getting the fiber installed tomorrow too smile
  Print Thread

Jump to