Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-14 13:37:37
Print Post

PS4

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone can help.

I have a PS4, on BT's Infinity 2 fibre service, now my problem is that whenever I stream a movie directly using PS4 (or via built in Netflix app) it buffers.

I've spoken to BT, and Sony's script monkeys, but no one seems to know what to do?

I've placed the PS4 into the Home Hub 5's DMZ zone, but it still does the buffering.

What if anything can be done?

Just to say I don't have this problem on the Xbox One, nor BT YouView box, they stream 100% correctly, with zero buffering.

BT engineers have been to the house, checked internal and external wiring, no problems found.

I think I read somewhere (can't find it now) that if the PS4 is in the DMZ zone, I need to manually set up the PS4 internet connection accordingly, but I don't know how to do that?

Thanks in advance for any help and advise.

zrerz.
BTInfinity 2
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Feb-14 13:57:02
Print Post

Re: PS4

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

What do you mean by "buffers". Do you mean it downloads some content before playing? Or that it pauses to download more content before continuing? Or that it buffers all content before playing?

Depending on the answer it may just be the way the PS4 works - do you have examples of other people where buffering does not happen?
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:00:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi,

By buffering, I mean the streaming starts, then a circle appears, spinning, which is what I was told is buffering?

It can happen anytime in trying to watch a movie for instance, maybe every ten or more minuets ?

zrerz.
BTInfinity 2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kev_445
(learned) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:31:18
Print Post

Hi, if it helps I am on Virgin Media on their 120Mb broadband service, I too cannot stream a movie I have rented / purchased. Although it doesnít buffer, it switches between really bad SD and HD streaming continually throughout a film, itís very annoying!

I donít know if itís a fault with the PS4 or Sony doesnít have enough bandwidthÖ
As I can rent films via the Apple TV (which stream in HD fine), Iíve stopped trying to use it.

Other services such as IPlayer all work fine, itís just the PS4 film streaming service which is terrible.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:32:45
Print Post

I've not seen this issue on Sky Fibre. I've been working my way through Breaking Bad and not once has it buffered and it always starts instantly full quality and with Full HD audio.

It is most likely a bottleneck between BT and where ever Netflix host their content.

PS4 connected via Ethernet right? Need to rule out WiFi being the issue before blaming BT or Sony...

Sky Fibre Unlimited Broadband:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 11-Feb-14 14:33:01
Print Post

Is the PS4 connected using Ethernet? Always worth doing that to rule out a wireless issue.

Does http://labs.thinkbroadband.com/ispa run on the PS4 browser and give results that you would expect?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User arendall667
(regular) Tue 11-Feb-14 15:29:02
Print Post

Might want to read the following.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-201...

Appears there are problems with the Netflix and Lovefilm apps on PS4 to quote:

"On the PS4 we find Netflix playback smooth and free from any lip-sync issues, although from an audio perspective we could only extract a stereo output via both optical and HDMI, even though the service is supposed to support surround sound on the platform. Interestingly, we see the same problem on LoveFilm - again, stereo-only sound - but on top of that we have some serious problems with stutter during playback, almost like video is speeding up to compensate for the judder/uneven frame cadence while maintaining audio sync. It's hugely distracting and in our opinion makes the service unusable at this point. The biggest problem is that these bugs are frequent, though they appear intermittently, so major issues can simply crop up after a few minutes of solid playback.

Once again, the PS3 powers through these services without nearly as many issues. We couldn't get surround sound output from LoveFilm working on the console, but at least the audio stayed in sync with the video at a steady, smooth pace. Curiously there have been reports of inconsistent video quality across both services on the next-gen consoles, with streams breaking up into a stuttering low-resolution presentation. Over the past few weeks we encountered this variable video stream issue across multiple devices, suggesting to us that the problem is perhaps related to available bandwidth and connection issues - perhaps on the service side - rather than a deficiency in how consoles handle the incoming video stream."

Can you use Netflix on any other machine ok?

Anthony
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-14 00:23:41
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

yes, connected by Ethernet cat 6 lan cable, paid a bit more, but hopefully worth it.

zrerz.
BTInfinity 2
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Thu 13-Feb-14 00:45:44
Print Post

[re: arendall667] [link to this post]

yes, I can use Netflix ok on the xbox one just fine

zrerz.
BTInfinity 2
  Print Thread

Jump to