Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ancient_Mariner
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Feb-14 18:32:43
Print Post

Wireless Access Point Reccomendation

[link to this post]

My LAN is all wired in CAT5 - done when the house was rewired a few years back. However will likely be getting a tablet device for "work" (I'm a County Councillor) which will not have a wired connection. Therefore wanted a Wireless Access Point.

Looking in Amazon, I chose a TeckNet® 300Mbps Multi-function Mini Wireless-N Repeater/Router/AP with WPS, 5 working mode: Wireless Router, Repeater, AP, Client and Bridge.

Reasons being; It would mount direct in a 13A socket (I do not want a desk/wall mount with separate PSU). It looked neat, Sensible price.

I would have preferred it to include 5G - I mistakenly thought that N was 5GHz ooops blush

Anyway, it had to go back. When setting up as per the user manual, my netbook could access ok with wifi, but could not set to AP mode. Could set to AP if using a CAT5 connection, but then could not get the netbook to access when WPA2 enabled. (My netbook can access my Draytek Vigor 2920 router when wifi is switch on)

So I'm looking for a recommendation for an AP which will connect to my existing wired LAN via CAT5 (I do not want a wireless repeater - which would also hog another channel) Will mount in a 13A socket and Ideally also has 5GHz.

Amazon do a:-

HooToo® HT-WR04 Dual Band 2.4GHz & 5GHz Wireless N Signal Repeater and Range Extender, (300 Mbps 802.11 b/g/n Access Point / Repeater with WPS Button)

Anyone any experience? Or any other device I should look at?

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Feb-14 18:44:37
Print Post

Re: Wireless Access Point Reccomendation

[re: Ancient_Mariner] [link to this post]

I have a lot of TP Link devices which "just work" so maybe http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-Universal...
I don't have one of those though frown

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Feb-14 19:14:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks, I've looked at that.

Problem there is that they do not include Wireless Access Point mode (which I want) instead it can be used as a Wireless Adapter - which is slightly different - can be used to give a device such as a smart TV, wireless connectivity to a wireless network.
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL...

The big problem, for me, is that most manufacturers assume that you want to have wireless repeaters so no CAT5 involved.

Dreytek do a nice Access Point, but desk/wall mounted with separate psu. Not cheap either, but I like Dreytek routers and modem/routers when I had ADSL.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Fri 14-Feb-14 19:32:30
Print Post

I have a TL-WA701ND which does "everything" - AP, repeater, bridge - you just set it up accordingly.

A lot of the TP-Link devices are like this but it appears not this.

What about the "TeckNet® 300Mbps Multi-function Mini Wireless-N Repeater/Router/AP with WPS, 5 working mode: Wireless Router, Repeater, AP, Client and Bridge" at http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet%C2%AE-300Mbps-Multi-...

OK this is the device in the opening post - dohfrown

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Edited by greenglide (Fri 14-Feb-14 19:34:09)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Feb-14 19:33:52
Print Post

After reading the user manual, I see what you mean. I find it strange they don't offer the 3 obvious modes of operation that this one does http://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-WS322-Wi-Fi-Repeater-... and I recognise the name smile

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Feb-14 19:39:51
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Looking at a picture, the TL-WA701ND appears to be desk mount. Which is a pity.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Feb-14 19:44:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I'm not too sure about the Huawei one, they do not actually list Access Point (AP) but does offer router mode. That would likely clash with my existing router? Certainly the TeckNet I sent back had both Router mode and AP mode.

AP mode simply needs a SSID and a password inputting and plugging in to a LAN.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 14-Feb-14 20:06:58
Print Post

I assume the clash would be the DHCP server? You just disable it on the Huawei.

Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Sat 15-Feb-14 00:09:13
Print Post

An Airport Express with a Macbook mains plug will achieve what you specify.

Personally, I'd wall mount a PoE access point.
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Feb-14 00:19:57
Print Post

[re: vimto_girl] [link to this post]

Certainly another option. Although would I be able to set up using Win7 or WinXP?

I note that there is a similar model with built in 13A plug.

Cheers!

Clive

Andrews & Arnold FTTC
DrayTek Vigor 2920Vn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to