Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User picky_user
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-14 20:02:15
Print Post

trouble with ethernet socket

[link to this post]

Hi
I have a cat5e cable run tin parallel with the floor joists on the ground floor. It passes over a large bunch of power cables at a right angle then up the wall in parallel with some power cables for a metre or so then into a cat5e jack via some dado trunking. It appears to be struggling to connect to the netgear router.

The power cables I can't really move because they're for the upstairs sockets and lights. I will have to rewire it and that's a big job. Besides the connections for upstairs are in the same position and they seem fine.

I have punched down the cables in the correct order. I know this because it's in the same order as the connection for the pc am using now. It syncs at 1GBPS which is fine.

Am reluctant to pay for an engineer to do it since I've done the rest of the connections in the house and they're working fine without any problems what so ever. What do you think?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Feb-14 20:07:26
Print Post

Re: trouble with ethernet socket

[re: picky_user] [link to this post]

Have run cat6 cable for 50m or more buried in the bundles of mains and audio wiring you get at outside broadcasts with no problem

This is the pin out we used to use http://sburke.eu/blog/2010/10/how-to-make-a-network-...

CAT6 is fractionally better in noisy environments

What is the overall length of your cable?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User picky_user
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-14 21:10:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

well at most 10 metres if that. I can confirm that's the standard I use as well. NO I haven't. The mains cabling I was taking about is a part of the house wiring underneath the floorboards. That I can't reposition easily. It would involve lifting many floorboards. Not to mention awkward position the cables due to the fabric of the external wall. Trust me it's awkward. I will need an electrician cable access kit.

Edited by picky_user (Sat 22-Feb-14 21:16:08)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Sat 22-Feb-14 21:12:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The link seems to think that CAT5 and 6 cables are either T568A or T568B!

We all know (of course) that the cable is the same and the two flavours of T568 are simply in the way they are connected.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Feb-14 21:55:00
Print Post

I've read your post a few times - am unsure what you are asking as such?

Re-run a cable. As long as its below 95m there should be no problem even if it runs alongside a few electricity cables etc.

Zen 8000 Pro
Standard User picky_user
(regular) Sat 22-Feb-14 22:00:38
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Ok I will try a fresh run. But I have another question. You can get the rj45 jacks in two flavours keystone these are right angled. Then ones am using that are a snap in type which are straight. Are there situations where one is more preferable?
google image search to illustrate what i mean
https://www.google.co.uk/search?newwindow=1&biw=1920...

Edited by picky_user (Sat 22-Feb-14 22:04:37)

Standard User Galoka
(learned) Sat 22-Feb-14 22:17:01
Print Post

No, I don't imagine re routing the mains cables is a practical option (and anyway, it doesn't sound lkike that the cable should suffer interfeence from the maisn in this situation)

Things I would try (and you already ahve done so):

1. connect different hardware to the socket, to see if the problem persists

2. a different RJ45 socket in case there is some fault with the socket

3. run a different cable to the socket - I'd just try it surface run first

4 If 3 works ok, then route it where you want it permanently routed and see if the problem persists
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 22-Feb-14 23:54:42
Print Post

I have a bunch of network cables running right next to power cables - no issues and there should not be unless it at te end of a 100metre run.

Which wiring scheme have you used? The normal is 568B (otherwise called 258A). Have you "double punched" each IDC? How much wire is untwisted at each connection?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 23-Feb-14 00:22:22
Print Post

If this is between two devices, you don't necessarily have to use keystones... Just stick an RJ45 connector onto the end of each one.

In fact, I missed this point in your OP, so what I would suggest first is just sticking an RJ45 connector on each end of the cable and test again, it could be the keystone which is dodgy, at least then you can rule out something, and then go back to a different keystone if this needs to be part of your design (for neatness or whatever).

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Sun 23-Feb-14 00:23:03)

Standard User commsguru
(learned) Sun 23-Feb-14 03:26:07
Print Post

hi I would use a cat 5 tester. I just had a quick look on ebay and heres one for 2 quid eBay item number: 130992643481.
I would swap the cat modules if you have any spare.
it is always best to line check with a tester to make sure all 8 wire are wired correctly and working.
also try different patch leads

Edited by commsguru (Sun 23-Feb-14 03:27:39)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to