Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OldChapXS
(learned) Mon 17-Mar-14 23:13:08
Print Post

Router testing. ??

[link to this post]

I am curious to know if anyone has any bright ideas that might help me test my router as the source of an issue I am struggling with

I have a strong computer or two with intel Nic's fitted .

I run one instance of a program and get up to 200 concurrent connections to the web

I add more instances of the same program and all seems well for the first few with everything scaling well

as I get to lets say 8 instances, although things run well I see that the throughput for each individually is dropping unil....

With 10 instances the graphing of use on the asus rt ac66u goes haywire showing impossible numbers and eventually stalls.

In this case I see lots of dropped packets and very high ping as seen in BQM.

The throughput is still only 50Mbit so I am thinking that this router is unsuited to more than ~2000 concurrent connections.

The reason is unimportant if it is memory related or similar that just means I need a more powerful box. but before I embark on that I wonder if anyone has a way to prove my suspicions that I am overpowering the router when running this type of thing
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 18-Mar-14 09:33:35
Print Post

Re: Router testing. ??

[re: OldChapXS] [link to this post]

200 concurrent web based connections? Most web browsers support under 10, so is this another protocol other than HTTP? It makes a difference to the load imposed on the router.

Which firmware are you running. On the older RT-N66U the merlin versions let you view memory/cpu utilisation information.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OldChapXS
(learned) Sat 22-Mar-14 00:21:01
Print Post

Re: Router testing. ??

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Switching off the QOS feature seems to have improved matters some. Now able to hit 80Mb/sec without the graphing of throughput freezing and not seeing impossible connection speeds (2Gb upload spikes) that only showed on the internet tab and nowhere else. At this speed ordinary browsing is good too.

Further testing tomorrow.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to