Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User maggiej
(regular) Mon 24-Mar-14 13:41:45
Print Post

Netgear DGN2200 v 3 - dropping connection

[link to this post]

Perhaps someone can advise:

Over the last 2 weeks or so, my router has been playing up. It's just under a year old and up until now has been very good - holding the connection with no problems whatsoever. However, whilst using the wifi for my laptop and tablet, it would seem to stall and I put it down to a poor signal etc. However, I decided to investigate further. Checking the Netgear Router Uptime Stats, it is the pppoa (WAN?) disconnecting. The router logs confirm brief disconnections (7 seconds or so) and then reconnecting. All other stats record no break in service.

I've reported this to my ISP who advised change the filter - done. They ran a line test which came back clear and have been monitoring the line since. Still experiencing connection drops as described above over 20 on one particular day! I'm currently running RouterStats to monitor my line for any problems and as such, there has been nothing to indicate anything amiss on the line, no noise or interference of any kind - just the PPPo session differing from the total WAN Uptime which is concurrent with the router log info. The DLM has kicked in raising SNR d/s to 6 (was 3) and u/s to 12.7 (was 6) reducing my connection speed. Not too bothered about that.

Is this the start of the router failing? - not very good if it is. Or possibly something else??
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Mar-14 16:48:44
Print Post

Re: Netgear DGN2200 v 3 - dropping connection

[re: maggiej] [link to this post]

Might not be the router; could be the other ends.

Can you tell from log whether it is the ADSL sync going down or the LCP/CHAP authentication server?

Who is ISP?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User maggiej
(regular) Mon 24-Mar-14 18:45:52
Print Post

Re: Netgear DGN2200 v 3 - dropping connection

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Have had a quick look at the Netgear logs I've been saving and can see no reference to 'LCP/CHAP' authentication/server. All it states when it goes down is:

'[internet disconnected] the date..... time (hrs/mins/secs)
[Internet connected] IP address .......... time (hrs/mins/secs)'

There is about a 7 second break in disconnection to connection each time it happens.

ISP - Newnet/Timico

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to