Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Undisputed
(newbie) Fri 04-Apr-14 17:04:55
Print Post

Extending wireless to garage

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'd like to get the internet connection from the house to the garage. The garage is about 20 meters away from the house and runs on its own mains supply. I want to to wire in some wireless IP security cameras, and unfortuntely the wireless signal doesn't reach to the garage (neighbours cottage in the way. Its bit of a weird setup).

I had a spare TP Link access point which I took into the garage and attached an outdoor directional TP Link 14dBi antenna. It didn't really pick up any of the various wireless signals that I have around the home.

So I am guessing I somehow need two pieces of equipment: an external antanna mounted in the house connected to a wireless point, and the same again in the garage.

Can anyone point me to what hardware I would need to enable connectivity between the house and garage.

Many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 04-Apr-14 17:09:49
Print Post

Re: Extending wireless to garage

[re: Undisputed] [link to this post]

Wireless bridging is what you are trying to achieve.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging.htm

The key is getting line of sight between antenna, and then once you have kit in place you can use Ethernet or add a wireless access point in the garage.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 17:55:37
Print Post

You say that the neighbour's cottage is in the way, but is there a way you could possibly run external Cat5e cable? - maybe along his gutter line so it is not seen?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 04-Apr-14 19:59:54
Print Post

Acknowledging that the garage mains supply is in degree separate, does it originate anywhere near your house, where you could tap in to it for a TP Link?

For example, assuming it is separately metered, is the meter in the house or the garage?

If you do go the Wi Fi Antenna route, make sure that it can't be blocked by parked vehicles!
Standard User Undisputed
(newbie) Fri 04-Apr-14 23:09:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
You say that the neighbour's cottage is in the way, but is there a way you could possibly run external Cat5e cable? - maybe along his gutter line so it is not seen?

The cottage is only in the way wrt where the router currently is.

I wouldn't be able to get a direct line of sight to the garage from there.

I could run cat 5 cable into the cellar and then onto the drive, but to make it neat would have to go cut into the drive. Not impossible though. It might be the cheaper option as well looking at the price of the wireless hardware
Standard User Undisputed
(newbie) Fri 04-Apr-14 23:13:34
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Acknowledging that the garage mains supply is in degree separate, does it originate anywhere near your house, where you could tap in to it for a TP Link?

For example, assuming it is separately metered, is the meter in the house or the garage?

If you do go the Wi Fi Antenna route, make sure that it can't be blocked by parked vehicles!

Unfortunately the meter is in the garage. The previous owners only built the garage in 2000 so I'm surprised they didn't take a feed from the house. Might have been down to the load on the wiring wrt distance.

Maybe instead of cat5 just some armoured cable and then use homeplugs

I'll post a pic of the layout so you can see my predicament
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 23:30:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by Undisputed:
In reply to a post by MHC:

The cottage is only in the way wrt where the router currently is.

I wouldn't be able to get a direct line of sight to the garage from there.

I could run cat 5 cable into the cellar and then onto the drive, but to make it neat would have to go cut into the drive. Not impossible though. It might be the cheaper option as well looking at the price of the wireless hardware

External Cat5e is around 40p/metre. And if necessary you can get armoured if needed.

In another you mention armoured cable and Homeplugs - that solution should be a no on electrical safety grounds and would offer no benefits or a Cat5e/Cat6 solution.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to