Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wjjmckay
(regular) Wed 16-Apr-14 12:09:15
Print Post

Changing Dynamic DNS provider on router

[link to this post]

Hi
Not sure if this is the correct forum but someone will tell me i hope.
I have a couple ip cameras on wifi in my house which i access via a dyndns address on my phone or laptop e.g (mycamera.dyndns.com) sky has dynamic ip addresses and not static ones.
The sky router sr102 and my old netgear one only has dyndns.com as the Dynamic DNS provider and no other can be used.
Dyndns are away to start charging for this service and wondered if there was anyway to use another ddns provider on my router? i asked sky but they were hopeless.
I don't have any computers running for these cameras so an updater isn't an option for me, any ideas how to get it on the router?

Regards

Willie
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Apr-14 12:14:42
Print Post

Re: Changing Dynamic DNS provider on router

[re: wjjmckay] [link to this post]

Find out how to extract the Sky username and password from the current router and then use a third party modem/router that supports more dns provider options

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 16-Apr-14 12:42:20
Print Post

It may be easier to pay the ransom shocked

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wjjmckay
(regular) Wed 16-Apr-14 14:58:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks guys
I thought about the old router which has better wifi in the house but it is the same as only dyndns on it, i'm not away to buy another router to fix this.
It looks like i'm going to have to pay the ransom right enough...
any other ideas?

Willie
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Tue 22-Apr-14 16:20:00
Print Post

The cameras themselves quite often allow dynamic DNS updating.

If you have a home NAS that also often does it, eg FeeNAS.

In short, look at all the devices you have in the house and see which ones can do it - it doesn't have to be the router.
Standard User wjjmckay
(regular) Tue 22-Apr-14 21:16:58
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

Hi
Thanks for the reply, i didn't think of it that way i only thought about it in the router.
Have had a wee look on camera set up pages and there are a few which are all in Chinese, both cameras have the same lists so i'll persevere and try figuring out a way to use them somehow.
Will update on how i get on.

Thank you.

Willie.
Standard User danielowenuk
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-May-14 21:54:30
Print Post

I recently fell foul of the same problem. Bought a second hand router with tomato firmware, swapped to a free service, cost me £19.50 all in.

Benefitted from much better router, and a one off cost. Tomato firmware allowed for almost limitless choice of dynamic dns providers.
Standard User wjjmckay
(regular) Fri 30-May-14 13:08:35
Print Post

[re: danielowenuk] [link to this post]

I bit the bullet and paid for the service which came out at £12 but will look into changing the router out to one which can be changed to some of the free dns providers, i tried the extracted user name and password from the sky hub into my old netgear router but it just won't connect. (red light)
I've not looked into another router yet but will research which will do the job and with any luck connect to sky, any recommendations?
  Print Thread

Jump to