Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chaoss
(newbie) Tue 22-Apr-14 09:45:08
Print Post

upstream one one ISP, downstream on another?

[link to this post]

Hi there, I have 2 separate lines coming into the house, one has a great upstream but quite bad downstream with packet loss and the other has great downstream but a poor upstream speed. I was wondering if it would at all be possible to utilize the downstream of one and the upstream of another for SVN, gaming, large file transfers, streaming and general use?

The 2 connections use different technologies (FTTC and DOCSIS 3.1) and as far as I know rules out bonding. What equipment would I need if this is possible.

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 12:11:40
Print Post

Re: upstream one one ISP, downstream on another?

[re: Chaoss] [link to this post]

It would take some pretty specific network equipment to do that. I can't think of any way you could do this as the packet will be sent by a particular path and any response will return via the same path - the only way would be if both were with the same ISP and some specific kit was installed at that ISP to control the traffic and that just is not going to happen.

Can you put some numbers to the good and bad speeds? I assume as one is DOCSIS that it is Virgin Media so what package is it on?
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 12:14:50
Print Post

Kinda. You could certainly use static routes with a load balancing router.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 12:30:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chaoss:
The 2 connections use different technologies (FTTC and DOCSIS 3.1) and as far as I know rules out bonding. What equipment would I need if this is possible.

There are solutions which can do this. Sharedband and Firebricks come to mind.

However, if one has packet loss, that's going to cause issues for any software/hardware bonding combination.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Chaoss
(newbie) Tue 22-Apr-14 12:41:11
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

One is BT Buisiness Infinity, this has the minor downstream packet loss but not upstream packet loss and the other is Virgin on the 152 package
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 13:01:55
Print Post

So is there a problem with the upstream on the VM package - I am not with VM and can't get it so can't quite remember what the upstream is supposed to be (I know VM don't tend to be that generous with upstream).

What sort of speeds do you get out of the BT connection? Are you very far from the cabinet?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 13:03:12
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

But do those solutions allow you to send via one but receive via the other? Are they rewriting the packet headers to give a spoofed IP for the return path as otherwise the traffic will come back on the same path it went out on - which is not what the OP asked for?
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 13:10:27
Print Post

Sharedband you can set the line priorities, so one you could set 0 for up and the other 0 for down.

Unsure on the FB though.

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 15:54:50
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

But I still don't see how that would work without hardware the other end. If you send a packet via an upstream it will have the IP of that link and the return packet will come back the same way. I may be misunderstanding what SharedBand can do but from my network understanding what the OP has asked for cannot be done without a solution at the other end (and as the links are from 2 different ISPs this cannot happen).

So, unless ShareBand is rewriting the IP headers to spoof the other lines IP address then the packet responses will return on the same connection as they were sent on.
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Apr-14 16:21:20
Print Post

It will need kit at the other end, which applies to both Shardband and FB - but the reply was more clarifying that he can bond the two connections....

Both of these solutions can work with two different providers as the kit is hosted in a central location and does not have to be on the same network as either ISP.

Due to this, the traffic does not go down one specific line and does not need to return on the same line meaning the OP can achieve sending data down one and receiving up the other at least on the SB solution.

Matt

uno Broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to