Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User EvilSmoothie
(newbie) Wed 30-Apr-14 12:34:57
Print Post

Ethernet Connection kills my DSL Connection

[link to this post]

Hello,

I have a bit of a strange problem that I can't work out. I have searched high and low for advice but can't find an answer. Essentially we have a TalkTalk wireless router which we use to connect our few laptops to the internet. That works fine 99% of the time with no problems. Because my bedroom is so far away from the router there is also an ethernet cable that runs from the router to my bedroom through the walls and I have an ethernet socket in my bedroom. Whenever I try and connect my macbook up to that ethernet connection that DSL drops and no computers in the house can connect to the internet. I login to the router and the "Total Errors Seconds" box rapidly shoots and and quickly needs up in the thousands before the DSL connection will drop.

I have completely reset my router back to factory settings which did not help at all. I'm at a total loss so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Wed 30-Apr-14 12:48:13
Print Post

Re: Ethernet Connection kills my DSL Connection

[re: EvilSmoothie] [link to this post]

Hi
Seen something like this before.... I installed an ethernet point at the other side of someones house and the netgear router could not provide enough power to connect...it was using a replacement PSU.

I would suggest the power required for the long ethernet cable increases the load on the PSU and causes the errors.

How to fix...buy a switch and use that.

Ian
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Apr-14 12:49:33
Print Post

Have you tried various Ethernet cables, e.g. just short pre made ones

There is a chance that the Ethernet cable is picking up lots of noise and carrying it to the router.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AndrewW
(member) Wed 30-Apr-14 13:23:16
Print Post

Totally agree with the above posts. I have also seen a situation where the local switch at the other end of the long cable was causing problems. The activity lights on switches both at ends of the cable were constantly flashing, even though there were no other decives on the network.

Pipex(dial up => adsl) => Nildram => Zen

Visit my IT Blog Lets Blog about IT
Standard User rogerfp
(newbie) Wed 30-Apr-14 16:27:18
Print Post

You need to troubleshoot this problem with logic not guesswork
Take a laptop to the same location as the PC, turn off Wireless, connect the ethernet cable
If it works then the problem is with the PC (possibly a faulty Ethernet port/card on the MacBook which is shorting out)
If it still doesn't work take the laptop to the router and connect with a short alternative ethernet cable to the same port on the router.
If it works then possibly the long ethernet cable to the bedroom itself that's faulty - replace Or the wall socket is wired up incorrectly.
If it doesn't work then try another port on the router
If it works then probably the 1st router port is faulty
If it doesn't work then the router itself is the problem

Edited by rogerfp (Wed 30-Apr-14 16:55:23)

Print Thread

Jump to