Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Wed 30-Apr-14 18:21:19
Print Post

Can I use BT Homehub 3.0 to extend my wireless coverage?

[link to this post]

Hello all. As per previous posts I have left BT and gone to Sky Fibre. I am looking at extending my wireless coverage through the house.

I will soon have Cat5e cable between the Sky Hub and my living room via a socket at each end.

Could I plug the BT Homehub into this via a patch cable and extend my poor wireless coverage through the house?

Also could it be used like a switch instead of me buying one (I know they are only about fifteen pounds but it all counts!)?

Failing that, I shall buy a switch and also the wireless extender from Sky for £20.00.

Please let me know your thoughts and if I am way off with my ideas!

Thanks,

Giggsy

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 42Mbps down/4.5Mbps up...crazy Left BT as they were poor...
Now with Sky - 38Mbps down, 9.5Mbps up
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Apr-14 18:59:50
Print Post

Re: Can I use BT Homehub 3.0 to extend my wireless coverage?

[re: giggsy1977] [link to this post]

Yes, that should work.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 30-Apr-14 19:04:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Should work, http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html shows what to do with different hardware, but the concepts are the same

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Wed 30-Apr-14 20:07:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Excellent! Thanks both for the response. Best get reading as I have no idea what I'm doing!

BT Infinity 2 - Predicted speed 54.7Mbps down/15.7Mbps up. Actual speed 42Mbps down/4.5Mbps up...crazy Left BT as they were poor...
Now with Sky - 38Mbps down, 9.5Mbps up
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Wed 30-Apr-14 20:41:26
Print Post

Well I tried and failed miserably. Do I also need the Openreach Modem attached? I have connected the homehub to my pc via ethernet and the mains but cannot get the homehub settings at 192.168.1.254 to come up. It just says no internet access?!

Now with Sky Fibre - 37.5Mbps down, 9.5Mbps up
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Apr-14 20:56:13
Print Post

Don't use the WAN connection on the Homehub, use the LAN connections only.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Wed 30-Apr-14 21:12:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

That'll do it. Think I have it now - thanks Batboy!

Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Wed 30-Apr-14 22:07:13
Print Post

Well it is working but very slowly. More worringly, the Sky +HD light on my sky router has gone out. I changed the IP address of the BT Hom Hub to 192.168.1.255 as I think that is out of the range it gives. Or is that out of the range of all routers?

I might be better with a switch and the Sky wireless repeater I think!!

Standard User giggsy1977
(regular) Wed 30-Apr-14 22:12:17
Print Post

Additionally, when I go to Network and Sharing Center in Windows 8.1 and click on Ethernet IPv4 Connectivity says Internet but IPv6 Connectivity says No network access. Was it always like this or have I done something wrong?!

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Apr-14 22:34:15
Print Post

You should turn DHCP off on the Homehub. What is the DHCP range on the Sky router?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to