Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Flint
(member) Sun 25-May-14 16:22:23
Print Post

Networking my two PCs on the same internet connection

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have two PC's in my garden office. One is connected to the house router with a 40m Ethernet cable. I don't want the two PC's to be directly connected to each other as the main PC is used exclusively for customer files and activity. However, I'd like to connect the other PC to the internet and have internet access available even if the first PC is not running.

What is the best way of doing that? I have a spare Netgear router so could I use that? Can I turn off the wireless part as it's not needed? Or should I be using a switch, or a hub? I need help!

By the way, I have searched on the web about this but if I was confused before I'm now more confused! smile
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 25-May-14 16:35:42
Print Post

Re: Networking my two PCs on the same internet connection

[re: Flint] [link to this post]

A simple unmanaged switch should do what you want, eg 10/100Mbps from Amazon. If you'd prefer gigabit there's this one.

Think of them as an Ethernet multi-way adaptor- apply power, connect 'em up and forget about them smile

I've got several around the house, I flick the dust off them now and then but that's all the attention they get!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Sun 25-May-14 16:37:19)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-May-14 16:43:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Flint:
Can I turn off the wireless part as it's not needed?
Or keep it ON and get a wireless adapter for 2nd PC.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 25-May-14 16:51:54
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The Netgear probably could be used but is likely to need some configuring (does it even have a WAN port?)- turning off DHCP etc… a switch is fit and forget.

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 25-May-14 16:54:58
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I wasn't suggesting the spare Netgear but wireless to house router as an alternative to your suggestion. Also fit & forget.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 25-May-14 17:00:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ah, OK… but the OP mentions 40 metres of cable, that's a fair range (depending on the route it takes and the number of walls, of course).

eta- probably worth trying though, if it works then job done smile

Bill

Edited by billford (Sun 25-May-14 17:03:29)

Standard User Flint
(member) Sun 25-May-14 18:39:45
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Ah, OK… but the OP mentions 40 metres of cable, that's a fair range (depending on the route it takes and the number of walls, of course).

eta- probably worth trying though, if it works then job done smile

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input so far. I'm thinking the simple unmanaged switch is the way to go but it is a fact that the wireless cover from my Asus RT-N66U in the house is marginal in the office. If there was a way of using my old Netgear router to connect my two office PC's to the internet via the Ethernet cable from the house router (fibre) and provide local wireless in the office that would be interesting. It would assist with reception of Internet on my wireless devices i.e.phone and Ipad. Is that possible?
Standard User summat
(member) Sun 25-May-14 19:03:13
Print Post

As billford mentioned before, all you'd really need to do is turn off any DHCP server on the Netgear before connecting it into your network in the office and after that just ensure that the LAN IP for the Netgear is set to something in the same network as everything else so you can access it, do make sure it's on a different address to the Asus router. Then the LAN ports can act as your unmanaged switch for your pc's and it can provide wireless for whatever you want in the office too.

It's up to you how you set the wireless up. If the signal from your Asus router is marginal in the office I'd probably just set the netgear up with the same SSID and password as the Asus router meaning you only need to enter one set of details into your wireless devices whether you are using it in the house or the office.

Edited by summat (Sun 25-May-14 19:10:11)

Print Thread

Jump to