Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mangoed1
(newbie) Sat 31-May-14 08:34:21
Print Post

Attenuation/Speed/Disconnects

[link to this post]

Just had my ISP (Eclipse) update my profile so that my ADSL connection is made over G.992.5 (ADSL2+), rather than G.992.1 (regular ADSL).

The line attenuation down has instantly increased from 6.5dB to 22dB. Although, from reading around, I was expecting some increase; this seems steep. I am about 100m from the exchange. Any thoughts? (The line attenuation down has actually decreased marginally to 4.8dB.)

Despite the change, the actual speed of the connection has remained constant. My modem/router (ASUS DSL-N66U) displays both the maximum (24568) and actual (8128). The BT estimate for download speed range is 18Mb-19.5Mb. My SNR is 28.0dB (up) and 22.1dB (down) and I'm connected directly to the NTE5 "test socket". Again, any thoughts as to what might be affecting the speed realised (since I've tried to eliminate any effects of internal wiring and devices)?

I'm still getting frequent disconnects under load (say when downloading a file). I'm at a loss to explain these but have hopefully removed likely internal causes. I'm connected directly to a master socket with a short cable, I've removed any other devices from the line, and I've tried multiple modems/routers. Anecdotally, if I limit the download speed (when I can), then I can prevent the disconnects.

In the modem's log, I see the message "lcp terminated by peer", shortly followed by "connection terminated", "modem hangup" and "LCP down". The connection is re-established in about 10 seconds but this is enough to stall any downloads (or kill any VPN connections).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 31-May-14 13:15:49
Print Post

Re: Attenuation/Speed/Disconnects

[re: mangoed1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by mangoed1:
The line attenuation down has instantly increased from 6.5dB to 22dB. ... (The line attenuation down has actually decreased marginally to 4.8dB.)
There's something fishy there. Normally Down attn. increases by about 3dB when upgrading to ADSL2+. Also normally Down attn. is about 2 x Up.

This would suggest that your down attn. should read about 10dB, which would fit the +3dB increase.
My SNR is 28.0dB (up) and 22.1dB (down)
Indicates your ISP is capping you with an unnecessarily high NM to a low speed.

Your ISP has you on a peculiar profile!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User mangoed1
(newbie) Sun 01-Jun-14 09:28:54
Print Post

Re: Attenuation/Speed/Disconnects

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

About the speed of the connection, Eclipse say "The line is set to 8mb even though on ADSL 2+. I have tried to reset this however there is already a reset in place on the line."

Apparently the next step is to raise a fault on the connection with BT.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to