Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AnthonyFlwr
(committed) Fri 13-Jun-14 10:31:58
Print Post

Wireless Problem

[link to this post]

Hi

We have an odd issue I was hoping you could help with as BT have run out of ideas.

We have a HomeHub5 but this issue occurred with the HomeHub3 before it too.

What will happen is we will lose connection to the network (internet & other devices) periodically at random (between 3 and 30 times a day), but all devices at the same time. Behaviour like this:

Mac - lose connection to internet and other devices/router but wireless signal reported as there and working perfectly, does not notice it has lost anything. Turning wireless off and back on instantly fixes it.

Other devices - they are slightly different in that they lose the connection altogether (wireless network gone) and you have to wait for it to come back.

Connected wirelessly are:
iMac
iPhone
5 x iPads
a Samsung TV
Apple TV
NowTV
Printer

The router itself just seems to see it as the devices disconnecting and reconnecting, it does not show any signs of problems and remains connected and working all the time.

I have tried:
Restarting router
Replacing router (HomeHub3 to HomeHub5)
All the BT stuff is new (cable from outside box to house, box on the inside of house, cable to router, router)
I have tried lots of different channels
I have tried disabling the 5GHz network and just using 2.4GHz

We live in a fairly rural area, there are 5 other wireless networks the Mac can pick up including two BT HomeHub3 devices. The house isn't big and this happens to devices right next to the hub as well as further away.

Unrelated to this problem, the wiring throughout the house was fully tested a month ago and is all working properly.

Any question do please ask, this is really frustrating and I'd love to be able to solve it.

Many thanks!
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Jun-14 12:01:39
Print Post

Re: Wireless Problem

[re: AnthonyFlwr] [link to this post]

If you look in the logs check to see what is happening at the time.

I had this with the HH5 and it always coincided with TR069 events where an automatic check for updates was being triggered by BT. The fix for me was to replace the HH5 with a Billion 7800 and since then it has all worked fine.
Standard User AnthonyFlwr
(committed) Wed 18-Jun-14 09:54:47
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hi

Thank you for your suggestion.

There is nothing constant that I can see in the logs before an incident. The cause does not appear to have been logged.

Weirdly since asking it hasn't actually happened again, which is very odd as it was happening all the time for a few weeks before and nothing changed, oh well...

thanks!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Jun-14 10:34:06
Print Post

[re: AnthonyFlwr] [link to this post]

These things always fix themselves when you ask for help. Give it a few weeks and it will go wrong again wink
  Print Thread

Jump to