Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaydownes
(newbie) Fri 13-Jun-14 21:13:24
Print Post

Help needed for 4G network set up please!

[link to this post]

We're moving to a new house that has appalling broadband speed but a very good 4G signal. So before we move I've researched and found that using 3Network's SIM only unlimited 4G plan is the way to go. All the 4G dongle methods are capped data wise at levels way too small for anyone using Netflix, etc. As it's got to be used actually in a phone, I'm not sure about a few future problems. One thing that occurs to me is that the battery of the phone may not be able to keep up with it depleting via tethering whilst being charged? Also to get a good wireless "spread" over the whole house it will need some sort of booster system??
I'd really appreciate any ideas as this is all new to me!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jun-14 21:25:10
Print Post

Re: Help needed for 4G network set up please!

[re: jaydownes] [link to this post]

Not seen battery drain when tethering that out paces the charger.

Asus Routers support a phone used for Tethering via a USB lead, i.e. you then use the Ethernet and Wireless capabilities of the router

Asus DSL-N55U £87 but supports dual WAN, so you could also use an ADSL line, or use it with a FTTC later as it can use one LAN port as an Ethernet WAN interface.

How to tether http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguag...

A cheaper router (no ADSL modem) is the Asus RT56U £70 again can tether via its USB port.

Can swear by the more expensive RT-N66U as use one every day, and runs with various alternate firmwares to give you more natty features, but comes at a price of £108

Have had mobile phones charging by USB ports on the DSL-55U and RT-N66U

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jaydownes
(newbie) Fri 13-Jun-14 21:37:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks MrSaffron, so the phone would have to be charged via USB to the router? As the whole system is reliant on a strong 4G signal, I'm assuming the phone will have to be near a window upstairs in the house, in which case the router also will have to be situated there, is this ok for a good wifi network through out the house I'm wondering? All circumspect as not actually living in house yet but really need things in place before as can't live without a decent internet speed for work etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jaydownes
(newbie) Fri 13-Jun-14 22:05:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So using a Asus or similar router rather than a booster or extender type router??
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 13-Jun-14 23:03:54
Print Post

Are you locked to a specific phone from 3 or can you use anything you want? If you can, try looking for a suitable phone that has a micro jack power input. At least you are not then reliant on the total power restriction of USB.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Fri 13-Jun-14 23:16:12
Print Post

But Three's new plans limit tethering. So this might not be possible any more.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User jaydownes
(newbie) Fri 13-Jun-14 23:46:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

No as it's sim only i can have it any 4G phone that is either unlocked or on 3, why do you ask?!
Standard User jaydownes
(newbie) Fri 13-Jun-14 23:47:47
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

No 3 have told me that at the moment this plan includes unlimited tethering, that is until they scrap it very soon, but as I'm signed up already I'm ok for the 12 month contract!
Standard User jaydownes
(newbie) Fri 13-Jun-14 23:50:06
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Any idea which 4G phones have micro jack power input please??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jun-14 23:51:22
Print Post

Wireless extenders tend to half the speed of the wireless, so tethering via USB rather than using the WiFi hotspot on the phone would be preferable, also the phone will just be pushing data, rather than having to handle all the router functions too.,

Other routers than Asus are possible, just that Asus I know work pretty well for people. TP Link are the cheaper version, but generally a less slick web interface

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to