Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Davylove21
(newbie) Wed 02-Jul-14 18:16:04
Print Post

I can't track down what's causing my slow BB!

[link to this post]

Hi people,

I'm pulling my hair out at the moment with my Sky Broadband. I've had, since activation, speeds in the main of around 2-3MB and much smaller periods of the 30-40MB I'm paying for. Had two engineers out, latest openreach guy today said my telephone was causing the issue and that all his tests showed perfect numbers across the board coming into my house. He showed me the tests and I believe him.

So I've been going a bit mad. I know it isn't the wireless, because it's the same problem wired. My upload speeds are always bang on and as I say, I have these fleeting periods of delicious speed that come without pattern. All I can think is that it's the hub Sky gave me, but I'm loathe to go out and spend money on one only to find that it isn't.

Anyone have any ideas? Sorry if this doesn't go here too, btw.

EDIT: Picture My latest speed test - no other activity. PS4 off, only this PC connected. Not even my iphone connected! Poverty speeds.

David

Edited by Davylove21 (Wed 02-Jul-14 18:18:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 02-Jul-14 18:41:31
Print Post

Re: I can't track down what's causing my slow BB!

[re: Davylove21] [link to this post]

This is Sky fibre, if so log into the Sky hub and grab a screenshot of the line statistics which the Sky hub will have in it.

Which version of Sky Hub is it too? Running a SR102 with no problems and totally stable here

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 02-Jul-14 19:02:37
Print Post

If that is not a fault, nothing is. As mr s. said, whats the stats. You can also connect to the test socket and check that. If you have a friend on sky fttc, borrow thier router. If that is the same speed then its a sky setting or a bt moden at issue (if you have 2 boxes)

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Davylove21
(newbie) Wed 02-Jul-14 19:26:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is Sky fibre yes. Line stats -

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps):9999
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps):39998

I assume that's what you meant, apologies if not. I have the router that stands vertically. As I say, have tried wired and wireless set-ups and still get this massive variation
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Jul-14 19:28:53
Print Post

Perfect stats, running at full speed.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to