Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User umernalla
(committed) Fri 18-Jul-14 12:11:44
Print Post

Use Sky Hub as Access Point / router with Fibre Modem?

[link to this post]

Hi,
Dunno if this is a daft question but...
I am switching from Sky ADSL to PlusNet fibre next week.
I have chosen not to take the PlusNet router and I understand the engineer will fit and provide a Fibre Modem when he visits.
Would I be able to connect the Fibre Modem to my existing Sky hub SR101 on one of the lan ports and use it as an Access Point - so that all my existing PCs/laptops etc can seamlessly continue using the internet?
I do plan to buy a Billion 8800nl eventually - but right now dont need the hassle etc of setting up my MAC filtering. fixed IP addresses etc

Just to confirm that the Sky Hub is the white one year old model SR101
Thanks!

Edited by umernalla (Fri 18-Jul-14 12:15:13)

Standard User rhetherington
(member) Fri 18-Jul-14 12:43:59
Print Post

Re: Use Sky Hub as Access Point / router with Fibre Modem?

[re: umernalla] [link to this post]

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Maybe. You'd need to be able to go into the Sky hub and disable DHCP and change other settings to basically turn it into a dumb switch (which i'm unsure if you can even do with the Sky hub's firmware). It would also require Openreach to supply you with a specific model of VDSL modem, which you'd then need to hack and replace the firmware in order to switch it into router mode.

In all honesty it would be much simpler to just buy a cheap router until you're ready to buy the one you want. Here's one for under £16.

Edited by rhetherington (Fri 18-Jul-14 12:44:48)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Jul-14 15:55:28
Print Post

[re: umernalla] [link to this post]

I don't think it will work easily to be honest. IT MAY do (never tried it).

I would just get a budget router for now like advised. In terms of setting up mac filtering, is that really necessary? Just use a secure and long WPA2 key with random letters and numbers. I've never liked mac filtering anyway, it is EASILY bypassed by spoofing a mac address.

In regards to setting static IPs. Isn't that something already configured at each PC? E.g. Like this http://portforward.com/networking/vista_static_ip_07...

If so then all you need to do is put the new router onto the same IP range as before. So in the example above set the router to 192.168.0.1 and the IP range to 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.255 for example. That would take a minute at most to change.

That said I personally leave it to DHCP, so don't setup any static IPs on my home network and have UPNP enabled which has always opened the ports I've needed without any manually setting up or port forwarding. Of course some situations absolutely need static IPs.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User umernalla
(committed) Fri 18-Jul-14 17:14:16
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.
I might as well order the Billion from the outset and get the configuration done.

Thanks.
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Fri 18-Jul-14 17:22:33
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
Just use a secure and long WPA2 key with random letters and numbers.

A random letter/number WPA2 may be secure but it's also hard to remember. I like to use phrases, nursery rhymes, quotes from books, etc.

Who is going to brute force "Baa baa black sheep have you any wool?" or "Peter picked a pickled pepper"? Secure and easy to remember.

Edited by rhetherington (Fri 18-Jul-14 17:23:12)

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 18-Jul-14 17:33:40
Print Post

[re: rhetherington] [link to this post]

Including some numbers, symbols and mixed case can be very strong and still easy to remember.

I use ones like:

Twenty3=Fourx5+Three

But not that particular one, obviously!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
  Print Thread

Jump to