Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Mon 28-Jul-14 20:59:09
Print Post

Internet connection mystery

[link to this post]

Thought I would relate this sage of events as it may help others.

On Saturday I was happily using the internet when at 2pm I decided to go to the gym. On returning at 4pm I found I had no internet access. At first I thought it was an ISP outage, but further investigation showed that there was no problem here.

The Belkin router (150N) indicator lights showed there was no wired connection. I assumed it was a problem with the router and bought a new one, the Belkin 600N.

The new router came up with the same problem. I unplugged the Ethernet connection from my desktop and plugged it into the Ethernet port of my laptop and repeated the installation.

This again was reported as a failure. However, I noted that there was a connection and was able to access the router from the laptop and set up basic parameters.

I then attempted to restore a recently made backup of the configuration but to no avail as the new router did not recognise the back up made by the old router. Fortunately I had kept a record of the parameters so was able to use this to manually configure the new router.

There are a number of problems with the Belkin 600N and anyone thinking of buying it should google first, eg try Intellistream.

With the new router configured and successfully working for basic operations, I then plugged the Ethernet cable into the desktop only to discover the same problem!

The Ethernet port (RJ-45) is reported as working correctly and the link LED is blinking showing data activity and the speed LED is RED. The drivers are uptodate.

My next step will be to try a new LAN card in the PCI express port. Will let you now what happens.

Edited by Tantalus (Mon 28-Jul-14 21:29:32)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:09:24
Print Post

Re: Internet connection mystery

[re: Tantalus] [link to this post]

Had lightning in area?

AAISP Home::1
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:10:52
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Changed the Ethernet cable?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:11:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does wireless work?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:30:54
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

No lightening, although it has been very hot in London
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:33:03
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, I tried this earlier on. It should be noted that the existing cable works with the laptop.
Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:33:35
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:34:00
Print Post

I thought you were in Sussex?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:34:57
Print Post

Did the 150N also work on wireless?

Edited by BatBoy (Mon 28-Jul-14 21:35:28)

Standard User Tantalus
(learned) Mon 28-Jul-14 21:43:04
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I did not try it. However, I have been looking at the documentation for the LAN card, Atheros AR8121 PCI-E ethernet controller. The speed LED is RED. In the manual there are three settings: Off (10Mps); Orange (100Mps) and Green (1Gps). No mention of red.

Just been looking at possible replacements. OS is VISTA (32 bit).

Reconnected the cable to the desktop and then did a scan for hardware changes on the driver and the connection returned!

Light is still red.

I'm really not sure what is going on. But at least I have an internet connection for the moment....

Just had a look at the event log and I wonder whether this message have any thin to do with it:

NtpClient was unable to set a manual peer to use as a time source because of DNS resolution error on 'time.nist.gov,0x9'. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: No such host is known. (0x80072AF9) - Thought I'd resolved this by setting clock to time.nist.gov

Edited by Tantalus (Mon 28-Jul-14 23:02:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to