Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bethere
(regular) Sat 02-Aug-14 14:03:23
Print Post

Can't remote connect to router anymore.

[link to this post]

I setup my Netgear DGN2200 router with remote management together with dyndns to update the ip and connected several network cameras to view what's going on while away on holiday.
About 10 days ago while viewing one of the cameras it suddenly became unavailable. I logged in remotely to my router which seemed to be fine and that connection also suddenly became unavailable but I was able to view one of the cameras for a few hours. Then the connection to everything has been completely lost. I don't know what's happened and why the connection has dropped. I haven't received an update from dydndns since it happened. I'm away on vacation and won't be able to check my router back home for another 2 weeks. I'm assuming that the router must have crashed and needs to be reset. Any ideas why this happened and what can be done without physically resetting the router?
Standard User panda
(committed) Sat 02-Aug-14 14:34:20
Print Post

Re: Can't remote connect to router anymore.

[re: bethere] [link to this post]

Do you have a paid DynDNS Account?
Free accounts have been removed.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User bethere
(regular) Sat 02-Aug-14 15:57:32
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

Yes I'm using a paid account.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 02-Aug-14 17:31:04
Print Post

Sounds like either the ADSL connection has gone down or the router firmware itself has crashed.

Your ISP should be able to tell you if the circuit is in sync but a firmware crash requires a physical reboot, nothing you can do on a consumer grade router when this happens.

Any trusted friend or neighbour who could go in and restart it for you?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User bethere
(regular) Sat 02-Aug-14 19:37:18
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.
I'm just hoping there will be some kind of temporary power cut in my area that will allow the router to switch itself off and on.
To avoid this problem in the future I was thinking of connecting the router's power adapter to a timer to automatically switch it off and restart it once a day.
This crash suddenly happened when I was watching my ip cameras via an rtsp stream.
You mention that this happens on a consumer grade router. What kind of router do I need to avoid this kind of problem?
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Aug-14 19:44:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by bethere:
What kind of router do I need to avoid this kind of problem?

Draytek would be the best tool for the job - comes with lots of DDNS options. The other suggestion is get a static IP from your ISP.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sat 02-Aug-14 20:11:25
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

If the firmware has crashed DDNS or fixed IP won't do much good.

Draytek routers do have a good rep for reliability but don't as far as I know come with out of band remote management capability to allow a remote reboot.

If the router had remote management you'd need a separate connection to connect to it but the routers that have this aren't really designed for a domestic install.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure) => Zen LLU
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sat 02-Aug-14 20:13:58)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 02-Aug-14 20:55:13
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

But if he got a Draytek then it wouldn't hang in the first place. Also, half the time with the domestic routers the router is fine it is just the DDNS service which has thrown a wobbler, a static IP gets round that issue but obviously it may come at a cost. The other option is some IP cameras have a DDNS service so you could set that up also for DDNS and then if the router stops updating the DDNS properly then the IP camera will do so in its absence. It very much depends. I would be surprised if the entire router has crashed, it has probably lost sync and got confused and won't resync, or like I say, the DDNS service has packed in.

AAISP Home::1
Standard User rhetherington
(member) Sun 03-Aug-14 08:40:41
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Pipexer:
But if he got a Draytek then it wouldn't hang in the first place.

It also might not work correctly, even after two and a half years of firmware updates!
Standard User pmb00cs
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 12:22:31
Print Post

This can happen to all manner of routers, including the extremely expensive carrier grade routers that ISPs use, the difference being the more expensive enterprise grade routers, and up, tend to come with features that either mitigate the damage (ie failover pairs with resilient connections, but that costs money, and requires two routers, and two or more connections) or reduces the likely hood of a crash in the first place (ie system resource monitoring, and low memory alerting). The out of band management features (that someone brought up elsewhere in this thread) also help in recovering from a failure, but out of band management requires a management connection (a separate data connection not reliant on the hardware being managed).

Someone else in this thread mentioned Draytek, and I have one of their routers, and am very happy with it, however, I very much doubt it would have prevented your issue. It sounds to me, like you have exhausted the running memory of the router, and caused it to crash. The RTSP connection you had to your cameras is a control connection, and the video data would have been sent over another protocol, I suspect something UDP based (but I could well be wrong) and UDP connection tracking is harder for a router to perform than TCP connection tracking, and so will have used more memory than the router would otherwise have used.

It is also worth considering the possibility your router has been hacked. I suspect this is less likely, but it is a possibility with remote management enabled (something that is always a risky proposition) especially if you are using an insecure protocol to access the remote management (http instead of the encrypted https) or you have used a relatively weak admin password. Using the default admin password and enabling remote management is asking for trouble. Consumer grade routers do not tend to come with much in the way of access accounting or tools to prevent brute force attacks.

happily chugging along on plusnet and Virginmedia (yes I am greedy)
My web server
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to