Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Thu 07-Aug-14 01:17:11
Print Post

Why is my wireless signal non existant in my flat?

[link to this post]

When I first moved in I used a 3 dongle and it worked for about 2 hours until I had to charge it, then it stopped working, either no signal at all displaying on my laptop or 5 bar but it kept dropping, I tried 2 different phones as well and they had same problem.

After my broadband was activated I got about 2 bar signal on my desktop pc but only about 18 meg speed, my laptop got about 45 meg around the entire flat, in my bedroom I got about 3 bar signal for the desktop in there but dial up speeds.

I tried changing all the wireless channels and no luck.

I sometimes pick up 1 or 2 neighbours broadband signals but the strange thing is ALL of them come through as 5 bar no matter if its desktop or laptop and I can get 1 of my neighbours connections 5 bars in every room!

Why is the signal therefore so bad in my flat? Its a oldish flat about 40-50 years old.

Also what is strange, when I moved in I put router on carpet as had no table to put it on and got my 2/3 bar desktop signal, I then put it on a small desk in same location now neither of my desktops get ANY wireless signals and the only difference is its about 3 feet off the ground.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Aug-14 06:58:22
Print Post

Re: Why is my wireless signal non existant in my flat?

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Depends on the router and how signal radiates from the antenna. Small changes can give big changes in performance

Also check settings on router as may be using a low power setting perhaps

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Thu 07-Aug-14 11:23:15
Print Post

if the router has an external aerial, check that its making a good connection.

else as mr saffron suggests, change the position of the router, (stand it up, or lay it down),

edit, what router is it?

Edited by ggremlin (Thu 07-Aug-14 11:23:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Thu 07-Aug-14 12:59:10
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Its just a generic technicolour, but if it was he router why did I have identical problems with my phones and dongle when tethering them, I tried changing wireless channels with no luck
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Aug-14 14:07:28
Print Post

Some local device giving out interference in the 2.4 GHz band e.g. cordless phone, Bluetooth, cctv, baby monitor, microwave

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(member) Thu 07-Aug-14 19:40:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

When I moved in I had none of those, however the wireless signal for the broadband has only dissapeared completley since I put my cordelss phone base next to router as well as a gigabit switch.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 07-Aug-14 19:43:06
Print Post

So it is wireless interference caused by the base station?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 07-Aug-14 19:45:29
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Or out of band interference from a power adapter. Time to move things around or just switch off temporarily to see if that has any effect.

(member) Fri 08-Aug-14 00:35:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Tried it with the plug for my cordless phone removed and still the same.

I had a thought, I have the router and the modem plugged into a surge protected extension, could that affect it?
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 08-Aug-14 01:23:16
Print Post

Make sure you are using only channels 1, 6 or 11.

It could be that the room the router is located in has a wall that has chicken wire inside it
See: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2010/jan/...

As a good test, do you have a smartphone such as an iPhone?
If so, turn on the personal hotspot setting, stay on this screen (do not go off this screen - changing screens stops it working correctly), this now makes your router into a wifi Hotspot.

Place the iPhone next to the router... do your devices see the signal as weak as the original router?
An iPhone should give off a much weaker signal than the router, so it should by rights be much weaker. If it's the same / better then you know the routers pretty junk. EDIT: The WiFi is so bad that turning my homehub on next to this router, would mean I couldn't even connect to the technicolour WiFi as my homehub literally overpowered it that much on the same channel. Having both a sky hub and homehub on same channel next to one another - worked fine on both. I assume it's because the Sky hub is a fairly strong range as well. So it's possible neighbours devices with a much stronger WiFi output aren't helping as they're overpowering the measly signal.

Also is your router one of these? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71UgdlsyEqL._S...
If so they have terrible WiFi range. Well compared to the homehub I have it's truly abysmal...

Edited by ukhardy07 (Fri 08-Aug-14 01:27:42)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to