Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Garlic
(newbie) Mon 11-Aug-14 12:10:41
Print Post

Powerline multiple buildings

[link to this post]

Anyone used power line between buildings? I have 2 outside buildings each with their own fuse box running off the main house fuse box. The performance figures for power line are doubtless on a best case house with modern wiring and a idea power ring. Anyone tried it in my less idea scenario? (My alternative is to run Cat5 to the nearest building and have a wifi at the end to reach the 3rd building but that involves digging outside and drilling inside so though I think that's probably most realistic I'd be happy to be wrong)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Aug-14 12:32:43
Print Post

Re: Powerline multiple buildings

[re: Garlic] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-de...

Shed in the review is/was 30 feet down the garden with its own fuse board fed from the main board. Old property (120 years) but wiring around 2000.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Garlic
(newbie) Mon 11-Aug-14 12:44:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply. Certainly better figures than I was expecting. My wiring is much older than 2000 - much of it 1970s (thought the fuse boxes are all <3yrs old) Might be realistic after all. Its not quite clear what effect does the number of powerline adaptors have on the data rate? I have a lot of table lamps connected to my ring mains - I've heard this can be a problem with powerline data speeds?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Aug-14 13:15:59
Print Post

Not seen people mention table lamps as an issue before.

Sharing, is more to do with mixing the types of plugs, and that its not 200 Mbps dedicated between two plugs, but across the whole shared LAN that exists on the mains wiring.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 11-Aug-14 14:14:41
Print Post

Table lamps ... incandescant should be fine, but LED or CFLs may present a problem as they can generate a lot of RF noise.

You also need to consider how many RCDs or RCBOs the signal might pass through. The very nature of them means that they can and do filter out high frequency signals.

Personally, I would go for external Cat5e = possibly SWA too. If you are going across/down a lawn, feed it through hose pipe for extra protection then with a lawn edging tool or flat spade cut a 6" deep slot. Get the pipe in the bottom and fill with soil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 11-Aug-14 14:19:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Not seen people mention table lamps as an issue before.
I think I mentioned some problems with CFLs in table lamps a couple of years ago, but cba'd to find it and you're forgiven if you don't remember it wink

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Garlic
(newbie) Mon 11-Aug-14 15:12:10
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I've been bitten before. Early LEDs stopped my radio working. So I'm cautious when I hear of problems with lamps and placement near high power draw items with powerline
  Print Thread

Jump to