Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Aug-14 11:50:27
Print Post

TP-Link TLER5120 Router

[link to this post]

I hope this is the best place.

I was following a thread on another forum where there was talk of a Gigabit load balancer. After Ignition posted what he uses I went and bought it just because if Carl uses it then it must be decent.

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL...

It arrived earlier a day early

Firstly it's HUGE! I know it said rack mountable but I didn't expect something full server size!

Apart from Ignition who I don't think posts here - is there anyone else who has one of these?

I am actually scared looking at it - it's bigger than my monitor! ha! How much power is it going to suck in!? :/

Thanks

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 18-Aug-14 11:50:43)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 18-Aug-14 12:21:59
Print Post

Re: TP-Link TLER5120 Router

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

What size did you expect?

Rack mountable would suggest it is going to be 440mm wide and 1U (44mm) high.

The spec suggests it will consume a max of 60w. From the spec: 100-240V~ 50/60Hz 0.6A so max current at lowest voltage 0.6X100 >> 60w. That will be when everything is working flat out - idle it will be a lot less.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Aug-14 13:05:02
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I guess I expected sometime like a router. It's not a problem it will still fit in my desk space.

I didn't read the specs if I am honest. I just thought " oh that sounds like something I could do with" and bought it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 13:24:18
Print Post

Routers can be big too, especially if space for upgradeable memory and other options

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Aug-14 13:42:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

fair comment.

I don't think this one has upgrade options. I'm just trying to set it up now. it's meant to be easy for initial setup but there is only a CD with PDF's on and they are not very good at all.

It's for my business so I knew I needed something which will last.On a plus side everything I need to connect it to will sit on top of it so that's a space saver

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 18-Aug-14 13:43:35)

(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Aug-14 15:04:32
Print Post

I have it set up with both connections up and running.

I've got port 1 with VM on it set to 1000mbps and port 2 with FTTC as 100mbps

The problem I havbe is that port 5 is the LAN and overtime I try and change the speed of that port it dies. Even if I leave it on Auto the speed is still poor and the speed is on yellow rather than green

Im getting about 15mbps with both together and I have put in the correct values - grr does anyone have any ideas please?
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:49:29
Print Post

Edit. fixed it. Seems this flow control is a bad thing so I turned it off and now it's doing it.

Edited by pcoventry76 (Mon 18-Aug-14 17:00:43)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:18:49
Print Post

You may need it for HTTPS traffic, etc. http://uk.tp-link.com/article/?id=150

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:22:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks I will read that. It was the flow control which was slowing it down as I said

I did try this software everyone talk about and it did do much better which sucks but I am hoping this thing will be more reliable and of course the software only worked because my old PC had 2 cards in it - into a mac there's only one.

I am not getting much more than I get with virgin so not sure what it's doing. But i'll stick with it.

I would expect to see around 190-200 from 60mbps FTTC and virgin's top package. maybe even more. It is bonding the upload though.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 19-Aug-14 08:47:22
Print Post

What are you using to get the bonding for the downstream? How are you testing the downstream bonding?

The problem is you are only controlling one direction of the traffic with the local router and so to get the fine line speed downstream you would need multiple threads that are taking different routes. If it is a single thread or all threads are taking the same route then you will not max it out.

Can the router show you stats as to which route is being used. It is also possible that it is prioritising the Virgin route due to better line metrics.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to