Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Wed 10-Sep-14 23:38:42
Print Post

Wireless access point

[link to this post]

I need to provide wifi access in parts of my home where the wifi signal from my router is very weak. I have cat5e wiring throughout so I thought I could just use the wired network that's fed from my router and plug in a wireless access point in one of the bedrooms and connect it to the wired network. The problem is that the wifi access points I've seen are the size of a small router - I'd hoped that wifi points the size of a homeplug device would be available. Does anyone know of anything that'd fit the bill?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Sep-14 08:36:13
Print Post

Re: Wireless access point

[re: joconnell] [link to this post]

Haven't used them but maybe something like this? Or this? Or even this?
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Thu 11-Sep-14 09:09:20
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Haven't used them but maybe something like this? Or this? Or even this?

Your links are for Range Extender products. These receive the signal from the router and rebroadcast it onwards.I am sceptical that the signal eventually reaching the laptop will deliver an acceptable speed even with a strong signal. The experts seem to agree, as you will see from http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-extender/#.

The OP was on the right track by thinking of using a cable router making use of the existing CAT5 already run round his home; it's just the size of such units he was objecting to. Something like the TP-LINK TL-WR702N Wireless Cable Router-N150 would perhaps be ideal but I am not sure what power source you would need.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 11-Sep-14 09:24:57
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

WR 702N is powered by a micro USB source, either from the supplied mains adaptor or from a host USB connector.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Sep-14 10:40:27
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E95C2BC/ref=as... Multi Function device I think fits the bill, seems to do an AP mode, not just repeater and the two Ethernet ports is a nice addition.

Never used TeckNet kit but reviews seem ok

The TP Link WR702N is one I know a few people have used and is small, personally a prefer the ability to place wireless device on the end of a lead as can put it at a better height to avoid obstructions.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 11-Sep-14 10:45:03
Print Post

Thanks for the suggestion, the TP Link looks like it'll do the job, just a shame it's not an all in one unit like the powerline wifi adapters I've seen.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Thu 11-Sep-14 11:48:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by joconnell:
Thanks for the suggestion, the TP Link looks like it'll do the job, just a shame it's not an all in one unit like the powerline wifi adapters I've seen.

A suggestion has been made for an all in one unit that you desire. However with wall sockets usually a foot off the floor, the range of the wireless signal may be impaired when mounted so low. I seem to remember that wireless routers work optimally if mounted 6ft+ above the floor.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Thu 11-Sep-14 12:05:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E95C2BC/ref=as... Multi Function device I think fits the bill, seems to do an AP mode, not just repeater and the two Ethernet ports is a nice addition.

Never used TeckNet kit but reviews seem ok

The TP Link WR702N is one I know a few people have used and is small, personally a prefer the ability to place wireless device on the end of a lead as can put it at a better height to avoid obstructions.

All valid points.

However, I'll have a play with the TeckNet Multi Function device and report back my findings in about two weeks.
Standard User joconnell
(experienced) Thu 11-Sep-14 13:13:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
In reply to a post by joconnell:

A suggestion has been made for an all in one unit that you desire. However with wall sockets usually a foot off the floor, the range of the wireless signal may be impaired when mounted so low. I seem to remember that wireless routers work optimally if mounted 6ft+ above the floor.

I didn't see MrSaffron's post about the Teknet unit until after I'd posted my reply.

Thanks for pointing out about the positioning and wireless range, that's good advice and steers me toward the TP-Link nano router.

If I did get the Teknet device, it'd be situated in one of the bedrooms to provide a signal for all rooms upstairs, and when I extend the wired network into the loft, it'd be moved there to improve the signal spread upstairs.

EDIT: actually I've just had a thought - my Billion 7800N router is situated on the bottom shelf of a telephone table so that it sits beneath a DECT phone. Would that could interference of the Wifi signal and if so would it be enough to reduce signal strength upstairs to 1/2 bars out of 5?

Edited by joconnell (Thu 11-Sep-14 13:16:49)

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Sep-14 13:30:16
Print Post

The DECT phone itself may well be interfering with the signal if it is anywhere near the same frequency. Try moving the router up and maybe temporarily turning off the phone/base station to see if signal improves.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to