Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wjjmckay
(regular) Tue 23-Sep-14 13:25:58
Print Post

wifi camera iffy

[link to this post]

Hi
I thought i'd seek some advice here about my webcam in my garage, lately its being slow to load but its working fine otherwise. i thought the wifi part was maybe failing and wondered if i could hardwire an old router to it that had stronger wifi for the sky hub to pick up, i have a camera outside with wifi and it loads fine.
I can't wire it up as there is no way to get a cable from the garage to sky router without tearing up the house, i view these cameras via my mobile or laptop from anywhere in the world so it would be good if i could maybe get this one wired up somehow before it fails.
I have a few old routers in could use but I'm not sure how to set the garage one up to be seen and accessed from the sky hub and the outside world, any ideas?
Hope this made sense...

Regards

Willie

Ps
Just wondered if a wifi booster would work by boosting the signal from camera or do they only boost from the main router?

Edited by wjjmckay (Tue 23-Sep-14 15:02:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Sep-14 16:27:56
Print Post

Re: wifi camera iffy

[re: wjjmckay] [link to this post]

Wi-Fi boosters extend the range buy halve the speed.

Using an old router to pick up the single and convert it to Ethernet is NOT something the majority of routers can do. What you might be able to do is run Ethernet from the sky to a nearer location in the house and connect an old router with it configured as a wireless access point e.g. http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/wap/configuring-wap.html

If you want the Ethernet to be at the end of the camera you need to buy a wireless bridge, expensive ones are like
Asus EA-N66 at £65 or you can get cheaper with TP-Link
TP-Link TL-WR702N at £22 that has numerous modes, one of which is wireless Ethernet adapter, i.e. receive signal as Wi-Fi bit connect a device that has Ethernet.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wjjmckay
(regular) Tue 23-Sep-14 17:27:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you
I went in past a local pc shop and he had boosters but as i said i think the camera maybe is on its way out, if that happens i'll just buy another camera as they're only £34.
He also tried me with those plug into the mains things but £55 for the 2 things and there's no guarantee it'll help.

Regards
Willie

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Sep-14 19:54:01
Print Post

[re: wjjmckay] [link to this post]

The way to know if using Ethernet will help is drag cable temporarily to the camera, or move camera and see if by turning WiFi off that it is performing better over WiFi

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to