Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Astrocpu
(newbie) Sat 27-Sep-14 21:20:42
Print Post

Best router for wired gaming?

[link to this post]

Hi, what router is best for wired gaming? What router has best port forwarding, lowest ping etc? I need one where I can easily change NAT but I don't need good wireless performance. Are there any good routers designed specifically for gaming? Is there another name for them or something? Wired routers?!
Thanks,
Ben
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 27-Sep-14 21:34:29
Print Post

Re: Best router for wired gaming?

[re: Astrocpu] [link to this post]

http://www.trustedreviews.com/best-routers_round-up

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 28-Sep-14 00:51:51
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Can you trust them when a best off goes to a device which breaks ICMP ping and people report various Vpn issues ie HH5

To ensure best latency for faming QoS to prioritise gaming UDP traffic if others are browsing.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 28-Sep-14 08:00:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

My HH5 is fine for VPN both in and out. I also manage to get full speed over wifi too.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User wasay92
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-16 14:49:15
Print Post

Re: Best router for wired gaming? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Standard User deviousiphone
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-16 15:22:57
Print Post

hmm this is a good question, now I am a gamer and I have a cracking router that does it very well for me (I will enclose a link to it below) however being as you don't need the wifi aspect of it that changes things a little, so my advice to you would be go for a router that has a dual core processor and being as your gaming over LAN a technology called CTF (cut through forwarding) enabled packets to bypass processing and be sent through without any delays, this for gaming can reduce ping by a couple of ms on average use, that is the setup I run and I never have any issues with anything I play.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R8000-100UKS-Nighth...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 01-Nov-16 15:27:57
Print Post

Re: Best router for wired gaming? *DELETED*

[re: wasay92] [link to this post]

Removed a spammy post

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Callumpy
(regular) Tue 01-Nov-16 15:29:53
Print Post

So, define a gaming router. It's just a router with services such as QoS (Quality of Service) that can prioritize "gaming related traffic" over other network traffic. They also should have Gigabit Ethernet, as gaming over wireless doesn't really make much sense as latency is an issue.

I use a £30 WR1043ND, and I play games. With OpenWRT installed you can install packages to do what most of the gaming routers do such as QoS, or even SQM (Smart Queue Management) to reduce buffer-bloat.

Find a router that either supports QoS, or find one that has all of the features you need that can run OpenWRT or DD-WRT if you aren't worried about voiding warranties.

EDIT: Your thread actually just prompted me to do some SQM testing, using SQM on OpenWRT, I now get the same effects as what a gaming router seeks.

When I am running a speedtest without SQM on, my pings jump from 12ms to 40+ms.
With SQM on, my pings stay around the 12 - 14ms mark.

However, it requires dropping my download speed from 75 ish to 68, and upload from 18 to 15.

Modem: Huawei HG612 3B -- Unlocked SP08 Firmware w/ BLOB A2pv6C038m.d24j
Router: TP-Link WR1043ND -- OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05.1

Current Connection: Sky Fibre Max (80/20)
Previous Connections: BT Infinity 2 (80/20), BE Pro (24/2.5)

MyDSLWebStats (Callumpy) | MyGamerProfile

Edited by Callumpy (Tue 01-Nov-16 15:54:29)

Print Thread

Jump to