Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User xvoguex
(newbie) Mon 29-Sep-14 12:01:05
Print Post

No Internet

[link to this post]

Hello

I am not really sure where to post this as I donít really know what the problem is so apologise if it is in the wrong section.
Our internet went down last week and we have not been able to get it back. Our internet provider has been as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

We had a router which we had since we got broadband. The signal started to drop out so we brought a new router. We had problems installing it so had ring up a service provider and they said we should be using the one they provided and they sent one out, anyway the one we brought started to work. So we kept the other router as a spare, this happen earlier on this year.
Our internet went down last week we unplugged the router and it didnít work we changed over the router and it still didnít work. So call the service provided they tested the line and it is fine.

The router is sending out a signal to laptops and mobile devices but they are not picking up the internet.

The main pc has no wifi build in so has to be plugged into the router. We thought there was a problem with the pc blocking the signal. But after disconnecting the LAN from the pc and plugging into laptop it still would not work. We removed the LAN altogether and the laptop and mobile with full signal still does not connect to the internet.
We check the internet setting such as obtain DNS and IP automatically, they are checked.

Google loads and we can do a search such speed test but once click on the website it just sits there trying to load.
Another site we tried is Amazon and that loads but stop at about 80% words are shown but pictures do not load.

We have not changed anything it just suddenly stopped. Our service provider is AOL/Talk talk

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be. Sorry for the long message.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Sep-14 12:18:31
Print Post

Re: No Internet

[re: xvoguex] [link to this post]

So you have a partial Internet service, i.e. some pages partially load? That is a very different issue to NO INTERNET at all.

Have you contacted provider yet? If so what was their response.

What is the make/model of the router you are using. Steps to take are

1. Log into the web interface for the router
2. Check the connection statistics i.e. connection speed, attenuation and noise margin figures first.

Then given those figures we can take it from there.

Issue may be

1. Bad broadband connection
2. Issues at provider
3. Router configuration e.g. MTU issues
4. DNS issues, where not all website names are resolving

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User xvoguex
(newbie) Mon 29-Sep-14 12:38:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah sorry sometime we have partial Internet service like Google sometimes loads but mostly no website load at all- don't understand it.

We have contacted the provider but they were no good. They sent a engineer around who changed our router and that was pretty much it.

When we phoned the provided they told use to check the web interface for the router
they went through everything with us and said that everything was ok and can we do a speed test. The answer to that was no.

Not sure the make of router I would have to check that. But it was new AOL router that they provided earlier this year. I am using the office wifi to ask help.

This issue you have stated here :-
3. Router configuration e.g. MTU issues
4. DNS issues, where not all website names are resolving

Can they suddenly stop working ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 29-Sep-14 12:47:46
Print Post

If you open a CMD window and type:

ping bbc.co.uk

Does that work?

What about

ping 212.58.244.20

?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User xvoguex
(newbie) Mon 29-Sep-14 14:03:55
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I will try this when I get home.

Could it be something blocking the signal from one of our pcs? We tried unplugging the LAN from the main PC(we thought that might be blocking it) and just plugging the router with just the Ethernet plugged into the phone socket to see if the laptop or mobile would pick up the internet. The router was lit up and the laptop and mobile picked up the signal but no internet.
Standard User xvoguex
(newbie) Mon 29-Sep-14 18:53:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I tried ping bbc.co.uk and the following came up

Ping transmit failed error code 5

Ping states for 212.58.246.104
Pocket
sent: 4
Received: 0
Lost: 4 (100% lose)
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Mon 29-Sep-14 21:09:35
Print Post

We check the internet setting such as obtain DNS and IP automatically, they are checked.

If you now change the DNS settings to any open dns server you will have full internet access again.

This may help
http://www.howtogeek.com/164981/how-to-switch-to-ope...

Ian
Standard User xvoguex
(newbie) Tue 30-Sep-14 10:41:43
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

I will give that a try.

I've also disabled security software and it still doesn't work.

Can a problem on 1 pc stop laptop and mobiles getting the internet even though they show a fall signal.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Tue 30-Sep-14 12:12:48
Print Post

Is your router showing as being connected to the exchange.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Can you get information from router see above link.

My daughter had a similar problem a couple of years ago, may not be related, AOL had moved her account from
ADSL Max to dial up and insisted this was the correct product. Had to get BT to take over line, broadband and phone, new number then replaced back with old. No other ISP was interested.

Is there still a way of bypassing AOL for line test anyone? Seem to remember there was at one time.
Standard User xvoguex
(newbie) Wed 01-Oct-14 18:04:47
Print Post

We called an I.T engineer to take a look at our stuff. He spend 2 hours checking and double checking and said everything is working fine. We now know that this is down to AOL. We will keep pushing AOL as we had no Internet since 20th sept.

Thanks for the help and tips that you all gave.
  Print Thread

Jump to