Technical Discussion
  >> Home Networking, Internet Connection Sharing, etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cadmunkey
(newbie) Sun 19-Oct-14 15:41:42
Print Post

Sharing a connection via wifi?

[link to this post]

OK so my household does not have an internet connection and BT has no plans to give us one and neither will Virgin.
Anyway someone in the next street has volunteered for me to get a Virgin cable business connection installed at their property which according to Virgin they would allow sharing on.
So in theory what equipment do I need in order to share this connection from his house to mine. About 200 metres distance between us as the crow flies so can I do this with external wifi kit? Presume we both need some kind of mast, could these be simply attached to our existing aerials?
Excuse my ignorance I havent a clue and I am desperate for home broadband. Would really appreciate some feedback.
Cheers.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 19-Oct-14 15:52:06
Print Post

Re: Sharing a connection via wifi?

[re: cadmunkey] [link to this post]

If you can see a part of each others building then Wi-Fi with right antenna should work and set up what is termed a wireless bridge

5GHz if the distance is not too far is best, as less interference from surrounding networks.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-outdoor-bridging.htm is a place to look for a lot of stuff and worth asking for their advise on what will/won't work for the distance you have.

If no clear of line sight possible then generally Wi-Fi is no good over something like 200 m

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cadmunkey
(newbie) Sun 19-Oct-14 16:19:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info. I have clear line of sight to his roof, so I will give these guys an email thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 19-Oct-14 16:36:49
Print Post

Ubiquiti is well worth a look.

http://www.ubnt.com/distributors/

I know of several small villages where they have installed Ubiquiti based systems to provide access to the local population.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User agkq62
(regular) Sun 19-Oct-14 17:56:12
Print Post

I can recommend Solwise, I run a village Wifi system using their kit and it works well.
You just need two of their units, one set to transmit and one set to receive.
Line of site is essential, no trees in the way.
Standard User tdw42
(newbie) Sun 19-Oct-14 18:43:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Seconded. There are thousands of customers with service delivered using Ubiquiti kit in North Yorkshire, and plenty more else.where.

If you are going to use the UK upper 5GHz frequencies (aka band C) you need an Ofcom license (it is relatively easy to get one), however if the spectrum in your area is fairly clear the UK mid 5GHz frequencies (aka band B) should be OK.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 19-Oct-14 19:23:26
Print Post

[re: tdw42] [link to this post]

For 200m with a directional pair of antennas then band B will certainly be adequate in terms of power. It will also reduce others trying to intercept it

An initial scan using a inSSIDer will show how much use there is on the 5MHz spectrum - if it is busy then move to band C and get a license.

I wonder if the OP has also considered splitting the cost with immediate neighbours - provided the service is forecast to be fast enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User cadmunkey
(newbie) Sun 19-Oct-14 19:30:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hi guys thanks for the posts.
The line will be a 152mb business line. I have line of sight, so what kind of speeds could I expect. Some of the neighbours probably would be interested as they are without too. But 152mb wouldnt be good enough to share would it?
Could someone be kind enough to show my links to the kit I would need over on Solwise?
I'm a complete novice with networks so dont really know where to start. Would the router to the business line need to be in the hosts house?
Standard User fibreplease
(learned) Sun 19-Oct-14 19:44:28
Print Post

Sorry, just out of interest why have BT Openreach refused you a telephone line?

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 75Mbps
Netgear WNDR3700

Freeserve --> Eclipse --> UKOnline --> Xilo/Uno --> Plusnet
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 19-Oct-14 19:47:30
Print Post

[re: fibreplease] [link to this post]

It doesn't say they have.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to